By roosterboy
In SU when I associate a MXM to a SU material using the maxwell material panel and then render the material scales are always way different (usually by a factor of ten or more). Usually I can edit the material in either program and sort it out by trial and error rendering but this wastes a lot of time. Is there a way to shortcut this ?

rooster
By brodie_geers
How are you doing your materials in SU? You should be using the same image file in SU that you use as your mxm color map.

If your color map is a huge file and you need to downsize it I don't THINK you can reduce the pixel ratio either. What I usually do is save it as a jpg with the lowest quality compression possible but I don't change the number of pixels in the image.

-Brodie
By roosterboy
Thanks Brodie thats very useful.
I have just been using standard SU materials (like brick) and associating MXM materials (usually arroway).
Trying to survive as an architect only leaves me with a few minutes each week to be an amateur renderer but obviously I need to invest some time setting up materials and other stuff.

R.
By numerobis
brodie_geers wrote:What I usually do is save it as a jpg with the lowest quality compression possible but I don't change the number of pixels in the image.
you can downsize the image without any problem. i use 256-512 pixel versions of the original mxm texture in sketchup. works for me...
By brodie_geers
numerobis,

Thanks, that's good to know. That gets me wondering how Maxwell understands, then, how to scale the materials appropriately. I guess that's why I'm not a Nextlimit programmer...

Rooster,

I hear you, I'm learning as I go too and only understand about 30% of what people are saying on this forum :D. It's hard to learn even some of the basics if you aren't using the program on a regular basis.

I'd recommend, if you haven't already, printing off a copy of the Maxwell user manual. It's like 147 pages but I've found it really useful. It's good to have something solid that you can read when you have a few minutes but aren't at a computer (ie. good bathroom reading material :) ). There's also a SU manual that I just printed out but I haven't dug into it yet.

http://www.maxwellrender.com/manual.html

-Brodie
By Richard
Roosterboy

It sounds like you may be painting the textures to a group or component of the default material. I find it is important to map to the base geometry - meaning double click on any group or comp to edit then apply materials)!

Also ensure all normals are facing out (the brown face when viewed in SU in monotone mode) reversed normals can cause weird mapping!
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

They could still catch up without even finishing t[…]