By pelias
It is really simple:
- create a low poly version of the component - lets call it "tree"
- create a high poly version of the same component - add _proxy to the name of the component (so it will be "tree_proxy")
- place low poly version of the component to your project
- enable "Proxy Objects" in export options
- export

Low poly version of the component is replaced by high poly version at the export time so in Maxwell (MXCL or Studio) you get high-poly version.

Pavol
By marked001
awesome..thanks for the head's up pavol...
By Richard
messire wrote:cool stuff, and where shall the _proxy version be stored? same folder as project? same folder as mxs?
thnx
I have the same question! Would be good if the path could be linked or folder location preferenced anyway. that way high file size objects don't need to be reproduced across system.

Adn again pavol, request for MXS file support for replacement component!

thanks mate!!!!
By pelias
messire wrote:cool stuff, and where shall the _proxy version be stored? same folder as project? same folder as mxs?
thnx
Actually you've misunderstood it - proxies are components so they are stored within the same SKP file. You just do not have to keep the high-poly objects included in the SU project as that would slow SU down. to repeat: create low and high poly version of the components within the same SU project (the same SKP file) - place instances of low-poly component within the project - high poly version is just available in Components panel in "In model" library of components.
Richard wrote:Adn again pavol, request for MXS file support for replacement component!
Yes - I have this high on my ToDo list.

Pavol
By Richard
pelias wrote:Actually you've misunderstood it - proxies are components so they are stored within the same SKP file. You just do not have to keep the high-poly objects included in the SU project as that would slow SU down. to repeat: create low and high poly version of the components within the same SU project (the same SKP file) - place instances of low-poly component within the project - high poly version is just available in Components panel in "In model" library of components.
Ohhh, so this is not yet the new functionality you have been previously indicating might be coming up then! Bit ahead of ourselves on the excitement front!
By creasia
Proxy replacement works great! I have tried a test of it on a high poly 3ds model.

Congratulations Pavol! I have also noticed that a previous bug of instances disappearing once exported to Studio has also been fixed. I can't wait to create some serious landscaping with this.

I did find that I had to dumb down my 3ds model a bit as SU couldn't handle it very well and I was too impatient to wait for SU to refresh. 10 minutes is too long on a dual core processor 500MB video card machine. I also had a complete Windows 2000 crash and shutdown on export with this model.

Start small work your way up.
By Richard
creasia wrote:Proxy replacement works great! I have tried a test of it on a high poly 3ds model.

Congratulations Pavol! I have also noticed that a previous bug of instances disappearing once exported to Studio has also been fixed. I can't wait to create some serious landscaping with this.

I did find that I had to dumb down my 3ds model a bit as SU couldn't handle it very well and I was too impatient to wait for SU to refresh. 10 minutes is too long on a dual core processor 500MB video card machine. I also had a complete Windows 2000 crash and shutdown on export with this model.

Start small work your way up.
I've had the same problem with large tree files into SU, can hang for up to an hour!

I seriously think if Pavol is successful with external referencing of components or MXS files (better given the import options of Maxwell Stduio) this will make life that much easier!
By creasia
I seriously think if Pavol is successful with external referencing of components or MXS files (better given the import options of Maxwell Stduio) this will make life that much easier!
Yes. I think that a proxy referencing external MXS files would be the ultimate way to overcome SU's limitations with high poly geometry and also UV mapping.

I think that Pavol has worked a miracle with this proxy method. It is quick and easy, but I think that we can bypass as many SU limitations as possible, then we have tapped into some real power!

How could this be done...

I envsion an HTML window with dropdowns on the left of existing SU components, and then to the right of each component, a browse button leading to a library of MXS files. Select the file and the name apears in the field. (An optional preview icon would be cool too if possible) if we could save these options into a preset exceptions file, then I would dance all the way from Canada to the Nextlimit office!
By Richard
Great ideas! I think the biggest one for Pavol to deal with will be any scale or rotation of the SU component being transfered to the MXS file substitute!

Must say Pavol I do think already you have worked wonders with the plugin and nothing there can be discounted. Mate though take any plugin to the xrefing SU or MXS files and mate you have achieved the incomprehendible!
By messire
Win XP pro
SU6 latest plug in 2.0.0.4 with the new maxwellexport.rb
MR 1.7

i opened a blank SU doc, inserted a component ( test.skp) and checked the proxy export. In the same component folder is a test_proxy.skp file ( that i made using the first test.skp file so rotation and space position is equal.)

export in MRender shows only the test.skp file and not the test_proxy.skp file...
any hint? of what i am doing wrong...
thnx
Nils
By creasia
It shouldn't be in the folder in windows, it should be within your internal SU files components window. You can have your component_proxy even in your scene and your components will be replaced. Test it this way and "call me in the morning" :D
By messire
found what is wrong:

when the file is just stored in the components folder ( not in windows but also in the SU components within SU) it does not work... _proxy file has to be added to the model at least once to work as a proxy..... i added it once into the model, then erased it and it worked.
Downside is that it will bug again when i'll purge the model from old components/files etc...
A workaround would be to add the complex proxy once, and hide it on an always invisible layer...
am i right???
Nils
By pelias
What you've described is correct - the high-poly component needs to be available in the list of components for particular SU project otherwise Maxwell exporter has no access to it. The trick with hidden layer should work just fine.

Pavol
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]