By messire
I have been trying to figure out how to make displacement work...
downloaded two mxm with displacement maps from the Mxm gallery...

I have done the following:
- mxm material editor: made sur the textures were found... made a preview and saved the material ( aka grass.mxm)
- in SU, used only the reflectance texture (grass.jpg) and made a new material out of it ( grass.skm).
When applying the material to the SU face, the pop up asks me to either choose a mxm or set a property to the SU material.. i chose the grass.mxm load option and hide panel.
- I render ( used the patch, now works) here is the result:

Heeelp :)
thnx
Nils
By macitect
Two things:
1. Subdivide the grass plane. I had the same problem and the displacement maps don't work well on large undivided planes. For us SU users this is a major problem... you'll have to do it manually or setup a TIN from scratch and make your planes about 10cm x 10cm.

2. Readjust the height of the displacement map. Make it absolute units and then choose a height that seems reasonable to you (maybe somewhere between 3 and 5 cm?...). (Maximus3D -the creator of the material- said that he exaggerated the height for the preview - there are already a few other threads about this...)

Let us know how it works out for you.
By messire
did it:
making small tiles makes it work, however i can see the tiles...is it anyway to go around this subdivision issue...? its a real pain if you work on a spheric shape, or any big size stuff...

N
By macitect
well for larger surfaces, I would suggest using the other grass types with a bit of bump... maybe use displacement just for close ups. but if you really want to use a terrain and triangulate.

concerning the tile pattern... nothing much to do about that. just try irregular subdivisions.

btw - how did you go about sub-ding? i have been doing it manually and would love other solutions...
By macitect
messire wrote:i just made a 10 x 10cm flat square with the texture, and grouped it, then multiplied it :)
N
Brilliant. So to get rid of the tiling maybe you could just adjust the texture on some of those squares... That might just break the visual pattern enough.
By messire
will try turning a few of the main ones before multiplying them to see if that works
:) i'll post an image asap :)
Nils

Added a red face because the grass appears to leave holes you can see through...not sure why.. it seems the black displacement zones appear transparent.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]