By frankmeyers
Can anybody help me with the following. Whenever I try to export a more or less complex model, the sketchup crashes. With simple scenes there are no problems but with more polys it always crashes.

thx
By mpoole1
Frank,

I had a similar problem with very complex models. I went back through my scenes and hid all the components that were not in the shot. Not sure this is much help if your crashing on even small scenes. Are you using a mac or a PC?
By frankmeyers
thx mpoole1

I'll give it a try. I am using a pc anyway. I guess it's a Vista problem. Not too much time right now but I'll let you know tomorrow.

grts
By pelias
If you do have more information or if you have a sample scene which you can provide which causes this problem please let me know.

Thank you.

Pavol
By frankmeyers
Do you have an email address I can send the model to?
By pelias
frankmeyers wrote:Do you have an email address I can send the model to?
I have sent it via PM.

Pavol
By frankmeyers
Hi Pavol,

the problem is still there. For now I can not export my model anymore. I told you in my mail that it was probably material related but now I'm not sure anymore. The model seems too complex apparently. Sometimes (but rarely) it renders and when you change the camera angle slightly it doesn't. I am curious if anybody can actually use the plugin with Windows Vista?
By frankmeyers
Hi Brian,

very late reply :-) but I had given up to find a solution. I have 2 GB and I am on Visat32. Should be enough I think.

Anyway, I am trying the new plugin with maxwell 1.6.1 but now 1.6.1 doesn't start. It really hasn't worked properly ever since I bought it :-(

thx for your help,

Frank
By sfawehinmi
I had similar problems a couple of days ago with a large model. I the SU file as a different name 2ce and it finally work. Try it and see if it works.
By Bubbaloo
Hey Frank,
Vista is a ram eater.
Really 2 gb is not enough.
I run Vista 64 and at idle it is using 1.5 gb ram.
That would not leave you with nearly enough.
Ram is pretty cheap now. Get more! :lol:
I think on the download page there is a file to download if your Maxwell app doesn't start correctly.
You might want to check.
Good luck!
By frankmeyers
thx Brian,

I'll give it a try.

Hi sfawehinmi, what was your solution exactly. I don't really understand. sry.
By frankmeyers
Hi Brian,

I'm almost sure it's a material issue.
I can't seem to use maxwell materials when exporting. When I don't use maxwell materials it works.

Could anybody sum up what needs to be done to install the materials correctly. In Vista they do not get stored in the Program Files folder I think. (but in the Virtual Store) Maybe that's the problem.

I also had a copy of the mxm folder in the 'my documents' folder and used those materials. Could also be a problem.

I now have everything setup as it should be according to the documentation, but I still can not use maxwell materials with the plugin.

help?
By creasia
A great way to troubleshoot this is to use the export parts of your scene using the "selected only" option into an mxs. You can then import the objects separately into studio and I believe that they will retain their location.
By sfawehinmi
[img]
creasia wrote:A great way to troubleshoot this is to use the export parts of your scene using the "selected only" option into an mxs. You can then import the objects separately into studio and I believe that they will retain their location.
yup, thats exactly what i did for my last project.. Actually I had different items on differents layers, (Train on one layer, Trusses on another and so on) and hid them respectively and exported them seperately into mxs files then opened a Maxwell Studio and imported them individually. This came ofter i tried to export the entire scene at once... it exported for about 7 hours and gave me a runtime error at the very end. (Drove me nuts). Heres a movie of the project... (not sure how to post images... sorry :( )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iZ5ydpuCg0

as for the tracks which was just too much geometry i was fortuate to export just one set and then use instance to copy the remaining 2 which worked out perfectly. Cant wait for that update though that implements instances in SU tho. In any event, Try that im almost positive it should work.

as far a it being a material problem... well thats a whole new beast on its own. It happened to me a couple of months ago when i was trying to re-adjust my workflow to add maxwell materials in SU... crashed on export with the materials but exported fine when i removed them. After that I never applied materials in SU. i just use colors as placeholders and rename the colors to what i want them to be in maxwell so they can be easily accessible. [/img]
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]