By stise
Hi folks, after a little break from MR I have begun to check it out with the new plug, so far so good, its faster and a usable tool. Back in the Beta days you could make an emitter with the color of the material used, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do this with 1.1, I'd like to get the sqaure next to H&R Block to illuminate in green, any ideas?

image:

"late night"

By Sheik
Looks good Stevo,
Make an mxm with rgb input and a green color. Link it to the box just like the other mats.
Sheik
By stise
Hey thanks sheik, I'l hopefully get that sign to glow green yet! Can you tell me if there is a plugin manual coming out someday? please, please....
By Richard
Stevo T. wrote:Hey thanks sheik, I'l hopefully get that sign to glow green yet! Can you tell me if there is a plugin manual coming out someday? please, please....
A working plugin might be even better!
By Sheik
I think there is a short plugin-manual in HTML format saved with the plugin installation. Look under Google SU/exporters...
I will try the get a tutorial out soon.

Richard,
Are you refering to the export now creating extra objects, or is something else broken?
By Richard
Sheik wrote:Richard,
Are you refering to the export now creating extra objects, or is something else broken?
Exactly mate!

The extra objects and dozens of extra materials - works fine for direct export to render but makes working in studio now a REAL PAIN in fact I've now given up on Studio and as I find for 90% of the work that I do that just using single mapped materials straight from SU I'm actually starting to prefer Indigo due to the fact any colourizing of maps in SU is also exported.

I'd imagine the success in this area will likely place Indigo as the renderer of choice for use with SU. And further when you think that even in beta it works fairly flawlessly I have concerns NL will lose the race once all the final features of Indigo's final release are implemented.
By Sheik
Richard wrote: I'm actually starting to prefer Indigo due to the fact any colourizing of maps in SU is also exported.
Is the ”colorized SU material” exported to Indigo so that the map really is colorized, or is the map mixed with a solid color?
There was a discussion of that here a long time ago, and I think I said I didn’t see a need for exporting the colorization (I assumed colorized maps would look bad in the render, better to edit the map directly for better control. Mixing with a solid doesn’t sound good eather…).

The extra objects/ materials thing should be fixed. Are you on Mac? I am on XP, and I don’t see that many extra objects (only from groups inside groups).
Sheik
By Richard
Sheik wrote: Is the ”colorized SU material” exported to Indigo so that the map really is colorized, or is the map mixed with a solid color?
There was a discussion of that here a long time ago, and I think I said I didn’t see a need for exporting the colorization (I assumed colorized maps would look bad in the render, better to edit the map directly for better control. Mixing with a solid doesn’t sound good eather…).

The extra objects/ materials thing should be fixed. Are you on Mac? I am on XP, and I don’t see that many extra objects (only from groups inside groups).
Sheik
Mate I agree that the results aren't so great but given that many renderings are done as tests, inserts, printed on paper etc and likely with a little noise left in particularly for exteriors this option can be a massive time saver. I can get results from maxwell better than most renders in 30 minutes to suffice for 90% of my rendering work. Its the 8 hrs of colour editing, saving, testing, editing that makes it generally useless for simple tasks. Consider podium, indigo, artlantis etc that work this way they can produce results. Sure Maxwell can do ten times the job of realism, don't however see why it cant fulfil the other 80% of workflow though.

BTW I get extra objects from components made unique! It is all the extra materials that are the real hassle though.
By fv
As I have posted too many times I also find the extra objects and materials too much to edit in Studio. Studio for me is useless now working as I did.

What I do now in SU is just use the default material and export like that. In Studio I do the rest. I asign all materials by the plugin in SU. I needed a week or so to change my workflow like this. I am productive again although a little slower. Lost one client, regretfully my most important. Once you've messed up seriously on a big project you are not getting second chances so easily. My own fault actually. Maxwell is not yet a pro application and I should not have updated. To my surprise though I am getting praisal for the Sketchy Edges renderings I make now....lol. Less money in those though.

Maxwell is attending to many modelers with too few people. Thats the end of Maxwell sooner or later. I am now the clown of the office with Maxwell instead of my rising star in rendering as it was developing. I am no longer promoting Maxwell. There is a good chance that I might be turned over to end my time with Mac's. PC just have a broader range of options in modeling and rendering. Architecture and visualisation is not Apple's territory. Never has been. I feel like I am no longer using the right tools. What I understand Indigo is doing what NL should have done. I will keep a close look at Indigo, they are getting more praisal than Maxwell ever had in the SU community. It would not surprise me if NL would drop attending to Mac's and SU. I can hardly imagine NL can keep up like this.
By Richard
Your right mate I think NL are focused on the Max, Maya and Bryce apps.

Where I see much the same with Indigo I feel they have seen the potential of SU and not left it behind. When you consider they have a working exporter and application that is still in Beta and can produce such hassle free results I can understand the excitement within the SU community.

Mind you I still hope that NL get us eventually a working plugin and someday get around to fixing the bugs that currently plague studio (though that doesn't even seem to be a priority for the next release) so that I don't feel I paid for what is so far a lemon! If it were a car I'd have driven it through the showroom window by now - well maybe towed it through at least, dam those wheels missing!

I'll not be surprised to find that NL is done by n[…]

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]