By fv
yes, its a bug in the exporter as I found out as well. I also posted it in the bug forum.

I draw a cube and asign one texture. In MXStudio I see two objects with the default SU texture, the texture I gave the cube and a new texture asigned to one face of the cube. The new texture is an exact duplicate of the first texture and a number added to the name. For every component this happens as well in some cases. When I import an object from FormFonts for instance all is well, its just the new objects drawn in SU6.

I had a small cabinet modelled with glas and stainless steel devided in several components. Normally in Studio I would have seen the two textures and the default texture but now I see an array of duplicated textures and for all duplicated textures seperate faces. Unworkable.

I am trying to change my workflow directly exporting from SU to the final rendering. A pity because I liked Studio.

I also noticed that its always the first face drawn in SU that is being given the duplicated texture and the other faces import in Studio as one object with the original texture.

Hope this gets fixed soon. I also hope that emitters in SU mirrored will not have their normals flipped. Now I can not use mirrored components that have nested emitters.

One other workaround I am developing is using Modo, a modeler and excelent renderer in one app. I hope that within my lifetime I can just use the tools I am trained with for a while instead of spending precious time solving basic modeling problems. Maxwell gives wonderful results though but if I am not paid enough to handle it I will have to give up on it.
By Richard
fv

Mate I don't think that is the issue he is talking about - I think he is refering to the normal black face / broken textures that is common to many renderers when exporting from SU.

The fail safe workaround (fv - wont fix your issue mate > export from V5) is to make a component in SU of your whole scene and copy it else where in the model. It has to be left on - placing on another layer and or hiding the copy will retain the problem.

I know you can make the original a unique component though so I'm wondering if making it unique then going to the copy and deleting just about everything might still work - will test and report.
By fv
thanks richard. I think you are right he's about something else. I never have the black triangles anymore, thank god.

I love to export from 5 but on my system I no longer get the mxs files after export. So there is something wrong. I also don't want to export back to 5 and then again open in 5 and then export again. I am working on projects full time and this is the way to drive me crazy.

I now use the plugin to assign my materials directly to component and groups. Works well too. Then I do the rest in Studio. Maybe even a better thing, very clean models in SU, only the default texture.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that for now it all works but the whole set up is too shaky to plan my projects and get paid for all my hours. I am slowly converting to Modo and give up on Maxwell. I am beginning to feel like a photographers with all the models lined up using a exotic Spanish camera that might or might not work. As a Maxwell user I have become a bit of a loner, perfect work at incredible costs. My clients now show me work of much lesser renderings letting me know how little they paid and how quick the job got done. Maxwell could work as fast and be much more cost effective but somehow at Next Limit they have so many other plugins to attend to. By the time this plugin is updated it could already be outdated by the new OS or SU.
By fv
I get fillped normals for mirrored emitter surfaces. I never mirror an object or components with emitters in them. I rotate those or take them apart and duplicate those surfaces seperatly by hand. Also a pain. This bug has been there since I don't know when.
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]