Everything related to the integration for Rhinoceros.
By Hallstein Guthu
Hi, after updating the mac to Catalina, we got this error message when rhino starts (see the attachment). The maxwell plugin in Rhino doesnt work and always cause a crash of whole software. We are using Rhino 5 for mac together with the latest Maxwell 4.

Cheers,
Petr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
this is what they replied, for four months now I have been trying to get something. I am very disappointed.

Hello Luigi,

Honestly, I'm afraid that the plugin for Rhino 5 for Mac won't be updated anymore, as far as I know. Currently, we are focusing on the plugins for Maxwell 5 and didn't have the chance to notarize the old ones for Catalina (which is quite a big mess). On top of that, the developer who made that plugin is not working for us anymore so it makes the update even harder.
Especially, in the case of the plugin for Rhino for Mac we would suggest updating to Rhino 6 and Maxwell 5 as the plugin is much more advanced as the one for Rhino 5 for Mac. McNeel is not updating the SDK for Rhino 5 for Mac anymore and is not going to make any additional progress and it is much more limited than the one for Rhino 6, so this one allows for a much better integration. The current version for Rhino 6 already includes Fire and allows assigning Maxwell materials to the objects as well as native Rhino ones. All the environment, camera and lighting options are already available and will keep improving. In the near future, we would plan to add an integrated material editor and add the extensions (grass, scatter, etc.).

I can pass this case to the sales department if you wish, so they can give you an estimate for the upgrade. In Maxwell 5 1 license of Maxwell for Rhino gives you access to all the versions available; that is Rhino 5 and Rhino 6 for Windows, and Rhino 6 for Mac). They are not operating system dependent anymore. Studio can be updated separately.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Fernando
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]