Everything related to Studio
By Forester
There are three very minor user interface bugs, or minor coding errors in the latest version of Maxwell Studio that I'd like to report. Should I do this here in the open forum, or is there a better place to report these?
By Forester
Thank you! Here are the issues --- (Don't need support - just suggestions for the next Maxwell Studio update - no hurry)

Two things in the latest Studio user interface that I think might be minor coding errors.

First, for those of us using HDRI files....

When you select ImageBased in the Environment section, and enter the name (and directory location) of an HDRI file in the "Background" panel, the choice of that specific HDRI file cascades down into the lower "Reflection," "Refraction" and "Illumination" panels. In those later panels, the file defaault is "Same As Background."

If you don't like that particular HDRI file, and therefore, replace the first file in the "Background" Panel with another HDRI file, the HDRI files selected and listed in the lower "Reflection", "Refraction" and "Illumination" panels fail to update, even though they should be the "Same As Background".

We do want the ability to use different HDRI files for different purposes. (That is, use one file for Illumination, for example, but use another file for background scenery.) But, this is achieved when you specifically select "HDRI File" for the type of file in each of those latter panels. This part works well.

I think the failure to cascade (update) a change in the selected file from the "Background" panel down into the lower Refraction, Reflection and Illumination panels might be a simple coding error.

I wouldn't mention it, except for those of us using Maxwell all day long, it is time-consuming to manually update each of the four panels whenever we decide to try a different HDRI file. (But, maybe this is the intended behavior, and if so, its OK.)

Second, almost the same type of problem for those of us creating a lot of Substance Materials. (a failure to update...)

It appears that when you create a new Substance Material, the file directory of the location of each individual map is stuck on whichever file directory was searched last. So, if I execute Maxwell Studio for the first time, and try to create a new material, the directory location for the first map will be whatever I searched the last time I used Maxwell - maybe on the prior day.

Then, no matter how many new materials I try to create, the first directory location that comes up will always be that one. This is annoying because I must keep making full multi-step navigations to each new map for a single material, and then when creating the second material, also keep making complete new navigations. It just takes a lot of time.

It would be better if the directory file location started as a blank slot to fill in, and then remained on that directory location until I complete loading in all the maps for a single material.

--------------

Third - related to the "Library" - and only part of this might be a "bug." I have built up an extensive library of plants. I can open up the "Library" panel, and click on the "+" icon to create a new "Custom" library. Then clicking on the "Custom" tab brings up a panel where I can enter the path to the directory for my many plants. Great, so far. The "Custom" library panel populates with all my plants. Brillant and a much loved feature !!!!!

But, that "Custom" library does not persist. If I change the scene, or open a new scene without exiting Maxwell Studio, that library goes away. As a result, for every new scene, I have to create that "Custom Library" again.

It would be better if we could create a new Custom Library just one time, and also give it a name. That is, I'd like to be able to create a new "Custom" library, give it a name such as "Plants" and then have it persist. It should persist as long as I continue using Maxwell (through many new scenes), and it really should persist after I exit Maxwell, and be there until I specifically delete it.
-------------

Thank you for considering these items in your improvement list for future releases of Maxwell Studio. Still the best rendering application on the planet!
By luis.hijarrubia
Just reported the 3.

About the substance extension. Each field has different folder memory. I mean if use every texture from folder A, then you change roughness to folderB, Base Color still will remember folderA, but roughness will remember folderB. This is done in general in extensions, and it's not easy to change. Are you referering to that?
By Forester
Gracies! Thank you for the explanation. This helps - I will remeber it when I use this facility.

But, it is still difficult to use when making many new Substance materials because each field must be navigated to a new location. And if I am making one new material that has Substance files, I only need the single directory location for all the fields (that is, maps) for that one material. So, it becomes time-consuming without good necessity, in my opinion.
By luis.hijarrubia
Forester wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:33 pm
Gracies! Thank you for the explanation. This helps - I will remeber it when I use this facility.

But, it is still difficult to use when making many new Substance materials because each field must be navigated to a new location. And if I am making one new material that has Substance files, I only need the single directory location for all the fields (that is, maps) for that one material. So, it becomes time-consuming without good necessity, in my opinion.
I know, it's not intented, but it's a general extension behaviour, it's not trivial to change. Anyway, substance painter works trying to fill itself, you only set one texture and it finds the rest if the have the right name. And if textures are exported with maxwell option from painter the names are correct.
By Forum Moderator
Hello Forester,

Regarding that #3, after creating the custom library try closing Studio. That will update the .ini file including the new library and it will show in the next sessions. I think the problem you describe comes when opening a new session of Studio before closing the first one. I think the second one overwrites the .ini file without the custom library, undoing your job.

I hope this helps as a workaround.

Best,
Fernando
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]