Everything related to Maxwell Render and General Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories
By ki_cz
Hi all,

I'm having trouble replicating this with maxwell:

The material is smooth on the outside, but the only way I can realistically replicate the increasing blurriness with distance is using the roughness parameter, which then detracts from the environmental reflections, although I can get close, it emulates more frosted glass than what is in the attachment.

I can get close with only scattering, but the edges of the leaves are too 'sharp' ... is there any way to achieve this kind of blurriness without roughness?
By ki_cz
Ok, well, after some experimentation I came up with something close, but I doubt it's the best way to do it.

I basically doubled the material on the backface of the glass box (by giving it a separate material ID), and it's much closer.

I'll post some of the results as they get clean enough so people can get an idea of what I meant.
By CDRDA
ki_cz wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:52 am
I can get close with only scattering, but the edges of the leaves are too 'sharp' ... is there any way to achieve this kind of blurriness without roughness?
Could you not add a coating to the material with a nm thickness that reflects white? That way you should be able to keep your reflections, whilst having control over roughness on the material underneath separately.
By Forum Moderator
Hello,

Adding a shiny layer in additive mode could help with that (actually a button was added at the bottom of the material editor to easily create shiny layers).

In this material, I'm using a shiny layer in normal mode over a rough transparent layer but it can work too:

Vidrio al acido 08 + reflejo.mxm

I'm not completely sure it is exactly the same material I used in these images, but should be close:

I hope it helps.

Best regards,
Fernando
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]