Everything related to Maxwell Render and General Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories
By choo-chee
also tested benchwell on the 5.2 demo. the GPU was lame with low score like it's an oldie. 18% top at the task manager. CPU delivered as others on the CPU chart and at 100%, and more wierd, while testing on CPU the GPU got to 25% load....
By Matteo Villa
Target SL 15
GPU rendering 2x 3090 RTX
CPU Threadripper 3970x ( Denoise)
Priority: Normal
Denoise: YES (CPU)
Multyligh: YES
ISO: 100
Time: 15 Minute

Considering you don't have visually any control over Maxwell Render internal Denoiser, i generally avoid it.
Topaz is far better and visually immediate.

By choo-chee
so is it possible that the 5.2 demo simply doesn't utilize my card properly? I was expecting at least double the speed, judging from NL publications. and it's almost the same with worst image quality (in GPU) in higher SL ....
By Matteo Villa

Target SL 16
CPU Threadripper 3990x
Priority: Normal
Multyligh: YES
ISO: 100
Time: 30 Minute

+ very light non aggressive denoise with topaz + some light changes in photoshop
By Matteo Villa
choo-chee wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:18 pm
also tested benchwell on the 5.2 demo. the GPU was lame with low score like it's an oldie. 18% top at the task manager. CPU delivered as others on the CPU chart and at 100%, and more wierd, while testing on CPU the GPU got to 25% load....
1) Consider the rendering time i posted regardless the Threadripper 3990X is based upon an Overclocked CPU with all cores at 4GHZ.
2) with a stock 3990x a 30 minute rendering could become an Hour or more.

3) For the fireflies in GPU rendering, considering your scene, i noticed is caused by a lightsource named maxwelLayeredMaterial26136
setting that to ZERO, will remove completelly the fireflies in the render.
This strange bug happen only while rendering with the GPU.
If you render the scene with CPU engine, you can easily leave this light source on.

4) If you check the console when the GPU rendering start, you will notice a loot of errors about shaders not completelly supported in GPU engine.
The grass used in your scene is correctly loaded in CPU engine, while GPU engine can't handle it.

Speed wise, Maxwell Render is far behind Octane and Vray, especially with GPU rendering.

Quality Wise, if you start your rendering during the night and stop them when you wake up, you will have a wonderful, clean nice looking render.
By choo-chee
3) For the fireflies in GPU rendering, considering your scene, i noticed is caused by a lightsource named maxwelLayeredMaterial26136
If you render the scene with CPU engine, you can easily leave this light source on.--> I think it's the lights of the oven... ??

4) If you check the console when the GPU rendering start, you will notice a loot of errors about shaders not completelly supported in GPU engine.
The grass used in your scene is correctly loaded in CPU engine, while GPU engine can't handle it. --> I know. yet still it's a small part of the image.

Speed wise, Maxwell Render is far behind Octane and Vray, especially with GPU rendering. --> but why can't I get 100% GPU power like CPU ?? devs need to answer that.

Quality Wise, if you start your rendering during the night and stop them when you wake up, you will have a wonderful, clean nice looking render. -->that's what I do.
By Matteo Villa
choo-chee wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:13 pm
If you render the scene with CPU engine, you can easily leave this light source on.--> I think it's the lights of the oven... ??

The grass used in your scene is correctly loaded in CPU engine, while GPU engine can't handle it. --> I know. yet still it's a small part of the image.

Speed wise, Maxwell Render is far behind Octane and Vray, especially with GPU rendering. --> but why can't I get 100% GPU power like CPU ?? devs need to answer that.

Quality Wise, if you start your rendering during the night and stop them when you wake up, you will have a wonderful, clean nice looking render. -->that's what I do.

1) The light causing problem probably is related to the LIGHT Hotspot on the Ceiling.

2) I hope this not the problem about your gpu, but i know NVIDIA placed software side, an Ether-mining hash rate limiter, reducing the GPU performance while mining.
This limiter has been placed only on RTX 3060 and maybe RTX 3060 TI
Maybe Maxwell Render share code wise something to those kind of limiter introduced by Nvidia?

Test your GPU with the tools i link to you, and compare thescore of your GPU.
If your score is similar to other users, could be a problem related to Maxwell Render, or maybe to the Demo Version.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/ : good for comparing scores

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven : good for testing stability on short period and benchmarking your GPU.

https://geeks3d.com/furmark/ : this higly stress your GPU, better set up a 100% fan usage to keep the temps under control.

If with all 3 benchmark your GPU usage is at 100%, and score similar/ on par with other 3060, the problem could be related to Maxwell Render.
By choo-chee
well, running two of the tests- pointed me to a simple conclusion: maxwell is not using the GPU as it should. the score at userbenchmark was very high and the geeks3d test showed also a-100% use of the GPU. maxwell is just not using it for more than 7-8% while other software (topaz, tests...) does. guess I'll have to wait and see if NL gets it done right :(
By Matteo Villa
Contact Nextlimit / Maxwell Render Team and request a trial license to use Maxwell Render unlocked for a week.

I’m sure they will release one for a loyal long therm customer.

Maxwell Render / Studio 5 is way better then the older release.

For sure there is still more to improve.
Some minor bugs and some unfinished things could make your experience a bit rough.
Hope the NL Team will not fall back like within the V4 release.

Last thing you can do:

1) download DDU driver ( Display driver Unistaller)

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/di ... nload.html

2) start your system in Safe Mode
3) start DDU and remove all the Nvidia files

4) start back Windows in Normal mode.
5) instal back the latest studio Driver from Nvidia.
6) restart your system.
7) uninstall completely Maxwell Render
8 ) use something like CCleaner to clean the Windows registry.
9) restart your system
10) instal back Maxwell Suite.

If even after this your gpu doesn’t ramp up at 100% Probably is something coded inside Maxwell working not correctly with RTX 3060 more then a driver issue.

If you can find another different GPU to test would be great.
By choo-chee
maybe I'll try that , I'm a bit skeptical it can help.
NL support still has to help me with my v.4 license but they're on holyday or something, I'm waiting for a week now to support ..(!) for my ticket.
By choo-chee
couldn't re-license a PC as a render node after re-installation of windows. asked about it in another forum post (so maybe someone'll see it)

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]