Everything related to Maxwell Render and General Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories
By choo-chee
tried it on my new PC with an interior scene, smaller memory footprint (about 4Gb). 12Gb 3060 did SL 12.4 on 40 minuets with an acceptable image quality. ryzen 9 did almost the same SL on the same time (11.3) but denoised image was better than the GPU's... so actually almost same results. I was sure the new 3060 ampere card would be faster, but noticed in the task manager, that while CPU load on cpu render shows 100%, the video card was never running on 100%... what am I missing ??
By Matteo Villa
1) pre build computer or custom one?

2) which CPU model you’ve?
- how many Ram installed?
- which mainboard you’ve?
- which PSU you’ve? Watt?

3) avoid using Maxwell render Denoiser, rendering the image normally then use something like TOPAZ LAB Denoise for a better result ( and overall fare better control over the final result ).

PERFORMANCE suggestion below

4) even when you flag the rendering performance to Normal, within Maxwell render, you could notice in the task manager he could run on below normal or low priority.
After you started the rendering, change the priority in the task manager to an higher profile.

Just don’t use “real time” since would probably crash the system.

5) remember to upgrade your NVIDIA driver.

Don’t use the game driver but even you don’t have a quadro is highly recommended download the STUDIO driver from NVIDIA website.
For commodity you could use the GEFORCE EXPERIENCE APP.

6) create a CUSTOM Fan curve for your GPU while rendering, setting it to aggressive mode to keep temperature below 70 degree Celsius.
Some gpu cut off frequency and % utilization while above 80/90 degree.

In all my GPU workstations I choose to custom water-cooling them to keep temps around 40/50 degree Celsius under 100% load to keep the maximum performance on the long run.

7) seems stupid, but check your window energy plan. Set to performance.

8) activate Ultimate Performance Plan in your system.

You’ll need to open the Command Prompt or PowerShell with administrative privileges. For Command Prompt, hit Start, type “cmd” into the search box, right-click the Command Prompt result, and choose “Run As Administrator.” For PowerShell, hit Windows+X and choose the “Windows PowerShell (Admin) option.”

At the prompt, type (or copy and paste) the following command and then hit Enter:

powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

If you already have the Power Options window open, you might have to close and reopen it before you see the plan appear, but it should be there. :wink:

9)Consider that GPU rendering in Maxwell isn’t 100% optimized using some shaders/material like rendering with the CPU.
By choo-chee
custom. Ryzen 9 3900xt 12-core, 64 GB ram, on asus a520 aorus elite. I think 650 Watt psu. drivers are updated.
I'll try the ultimate performance stuff for GPU as CPU runs 100% when rendering low priority.
By choo-chee
well did your advice. GPU rendering - the same. hardly ever goes above 2-3% load when rendering (52 deg. max) while I recall using Maxwell 4 GPU (when it worked or for denoiser) it would pop to 100% or 90%. CPU is also the same. I'm quite disappointed as I was sure I'm gonna see much faster rendering with the GPU.
*edit* decided to check nvidia's site. there was a bit newer driver (2 weeks newer then mine) and after installation, the 40 minutes GPU render gave me SL 14.4 ....but the image looks inferior to CPU and full of fire flies.
By choo-chee
I'll do it later, still testing a bit. gave the GPU 4 hours to render, all I got was a noisy 18.8 SL image. CPU 4 hours gave me SL 15.8 with better image quality....
By Matteo Villa
I will try the scene with different Workstations using CPUs and different GPUs from serier 1000 series 2000 and series 3000, checking any strange behaviour.

For a better understanding of the scene:
1) i will not use any kind of denoiser.
2) i will use the latest Nvidia studio Driver on all Workstations.
3) i will set an SL of 20 for each rendering machine.

Let's see what happen.
By choo-chee
cool. one thing, as the MXS is from version 4 it has a native resolution of 3000X1500 but since I only have a demo of version 5.2, my machine rendered at only 1619X809
By Matteo Villa
i used your same resolution.

Consider that i found some incongruence in the projetc. Some unfisnished floating stuff and unfinished terrain.

But for now, on all GPUs used, ( Without using denoiser) i didn't found any kind of artifact or firefly.
By choo-chee
it's part of the main scene for this camera only so some stuff maybe missing ;)
did it render well...? and fast...?
this is what my short testing looks like:
GPU denoised
CPU denoised
CPU (accidently deleted GPU but you can guess it's not brilliant)

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]