Everything related to Maxwell Render and General Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories
By Jochen Haug
Hi,

has someone tested this GPU with Maxwell Render? Works it well with 24GB? Some information would be very important for me. Thanks a lot.

Jochen
By Matteo Villa
Jochen Haug wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:15 pm
Hi,

has someone tested this GPU with Maxwell Render? Works it well with 24GB? Some information would be very important for me. Thanks a lot.

Jochen
Will test 2x 3090 in December, paired within a 3970x (temporary waiting for new Threadripper in 2021 Q2)

if you've any request i will try it when the Workstation arrive in Studio.

Stay safe and keep working :wink:
By choo-chee
luis.hijarrubia wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:03 pm
Nvidia let us test maxwell on a 3090, and it works fine with Maxwell 5.2. Ampere it's not supported on 5.1.
So cards that use Ampere can only be used on 5.2 ?
I'm thinking about upgrading my hardware and software.
It became quite complicated to understand what is usable and what is less... thanks.
By arielfranco
Hi there, Please be aware that from my testing so far the 3090 does not stand up to its promises in terms of speed of rendering.!!! based on the architecture, number of cores, speed and all the publicity...i was sure i will get at least 30% faster results over the Quadro rtx 400... BUT i found out that it renders the same scene (the bottle on window scene for instance) SLOWER than my older Quadro RTX 4000.
By luis.hijarrubia
I don't think that's the case. RTX 3090 it's outmarking any other single card in our benchwell table, and 2 3090 have the absolute record there.

Have you tried the benchwell scene? The GPU engine have a lot of ongoing development and many things change and a particular scene can have different results. For example Bottles in the window may be one scene really affected by the new Threadmapping method. And may look slower, but bottles will end with higher SL now.
By Matteo Villa
Before 5.2 landed I noticed a decrease in performance within the last 5.1 patch.

4 x 1080 TI scored over 9600 point before the last 5.1 patch

With the last patch of 5.1 the same 4x 1080 ti workstation scored under 6.000

Tonight I’ll try 5.2 with this configuration to see what’s happen.

And I’ll try finally my dual 3090 setup.

For sure something happened that hit hard the overall performance with GPUs.
By arielfranco
What I’m saying is that the bottle on windows rendered with v 5.1 and Quadra RTX 4000 to SL 16 in 3 minutes and 5 seconds.
And same scene on v 5.2 with RTX 3090 rendered to SL 16 in 4 minutes and 45 seconds.

So either 3090 is slower, or the technology is not optimized, or something has changed and made gpu render slower in v 5.2
By Matteo Villa
Check the other post. I responded to you.

I have to test 5.2 yet. I’ll do tonight.

But I noticed already some performance degradation between the 2 last 5.1 patches.

The last 5.1 patch give back LESS PERFORMANCE

4x 1080 TI + 2990WX

Used The Benchwell GPU scene to test out what's the gap between 5.1.0.29 (old release) and 5.1.1.33
( last 5.1 release )

Engine Version : 5.1.0.29 ( older version )
Time: 00:03:22
Benchmark: 9119.84

Engine Version : 5.1.1.33 ( coast 5.1 version )
Time 00:05:05
Benchmark: 6074

Like you can see the difference is huge.
If I overclock a little all the 4 1080ti , I can hit over 9900 with the 5.1.0.29 ( older version )

I think they’ve made a mistaken change that bring more problem then performance
By luis.hijarrubia
arielfranco wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:38 pm
What I’m saying is that the bottle on windows rendered with v 5.1 and Quadra RTX 4000 to SL 16 in 3 minutes and 5 seconds.
And same scene on v 5.2 with RTX 3090 rendered to SL 16 in 4 minutes and 45 seconds.

So either 3090 is slower, or the technology is not optimized, or something has changed and made gpu render slower in v 5.2
What I'm trying to explain is Threadmapping. In the old gpu engine if you asked for SL 15, the Sky may be SL 17 and the bottles SL 10. Making an average of SL 15. With threadmapping we try to reassignate threads of parts above it's target to help on complicated parts. So with new gpu engine sky may be SL 15.50 and bottles 14.50 or something like that. And those bottles are much more expensive to calculate. So overal you get higher time, but you get cleaner image too. It's not the engine being slower, it's that you get a different image. That's why I'm telling Bottles in the window it's not a good scene to test speed in this case.
By Matteo Villa
We understand what you are saying.

We stick to Maxwell Render for image quality.
And you’re trying to create a perfectly balanced output.

But many of us don’t have months to set up the perfect render.

You’re playing against Octane or Vray, and now you’ve in Architecture/Interior Design sector, competitor like Lumion.

In Lumion I can create high quality images in seconds, not even minutes.

What lack for sure in Lumion is the overall quality within interior design and that’s what save Maxwell for my personal use.
You could save yourself with product design since Maxwell still perform better in this sector.

But you risk to loose all the landscape, architectural sector due to lower performance and optimization.

I trashed artlantis for exterior rendering since with Lumion I can create fast and quality impressive outdoor rendering, while using Maxwell for interior design.

But your software definitely isn’t well optimized even for high end hardware compared to competitor.

A dual 3090 RTX Rendering time is a joke compared to Octane where you can have nearly instant ( and usable) preview in less then a minute.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]