Everything related to Maxwell Render and General Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories
By Forester
Installed with zero problems. Picked up my rendering work exactly where I left off - no issues. The new MXED looks good. I've tried most of the new features in it, and everything works well. The new toolbar for faster material creation is extremely helpful.

Would be useful to have an example of the "ghost" material, maybe a more detailed or more full explanation of the purposes of it, and how it could be used. One or more examples. Currently, I use an Opacity map to create transparent cutouts in metal lamps, and these kinds of things. Is one of the intended use of the ghost something such as this?

Added --- Gosh, that "Shiny" layer is very useful. It let me quickly add some thin shiny layers to leaves on plants to make them look more realistic. Normally, I have to do a lot of work (extra layers, sometimes rebuild to get some thickness for translucency to work correctly, etc.) to get plant leaves to look reasonable. For middle-ground plants, this shiny layer addition with just a little careful tweaking does the job. :)
Hello, I'm not as optimistic ...
Studio 5.1.1.33 release Win64 on Win 7 always crashes when I try to change the size of the browser window ... so I guess there are still other problems.
In addition, and there, it is really a very very big problem, the version of the plug in rhino 5.1.6.2 does not work any more! .... I reinstalled several times after the installation of the 5.1.1.1.33 without success! It is frankly painful to work with a tool as wobbly as that ... I have images to produce urgently; frankly it's not cool to see these new problems on Friday morning. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Forester wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:57 pm
Would be useful to have an example of the "ghost" material, maybe a more detailed or more full explanation of the purposes of it, and how it could be used. One or more examples. Currently, I use an Opacity map to create transparent cutouts in metal lamps, and these kinds of things. Is one of the intended use of the ghost something such as this?
Substance painter uses ghost, if you set a opacity map and convert it to advance you can see how we use it.

The main difference is that if your material is complex, let's say 4 layers, and you want to add some transparency, you need to do it on all 4 layers. But if you set a layer above them with a ghost bsdf, you only work the transparency in 1 layer, and all the 4 below does not change.
Thierry Debourg wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:32 am
Studio 5.1.1.33 release Win64 on Win 7 always crashes when I try to change the size of the browser window ... so I guess there are still other problems.
We worked on that browser resizing problem many times, we fix it, and it comes back, it's really really weird.

Will try to help with the rhino part in rhino forum.
Thank you for the information about the "ghost" option. I'll try it.

I wonder if Thierry's problem is related to Win 7. Not having this problem in Win 10, so far. (I've been working with the new version of Maxwell for about 18 hours now.)
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]