Everything related to the integration for Rhinoceros.
By aleksey-m@list.ru
Hi, I have a strange MR behaviour with displacement map. Here is the maps I'm using for reflectance and displacement in MR material.

Here is result in MR

Meanwhile in Australia... I mean, for example, the same maps in Octane

Why it's happens? Why MR shows this kind of result?
By JDHill
It is not possible to say, without knowing how the displacement is set up. Just guessing, it looks like you are using pretesselated mode, with an unsuitably-low subdivision value.
By aleksey-m@list.ru
JDHill wrote:It is not possible to say, without knowing how the displacement is set up. Just guessing, it looks like you are using pretesselated mode, with an unsuitably-low subdivision value.
You are right. Now I see, to get same result it should be "On the fly" and with huge subdivision (regarding default value). Sorry for disturbing.
By dk2079
Mihai wrote:On the Fly will be MUCH slower than pretesselated, especially for larger (deeper) displacements. If the displacement fits in your RAM, use pretesselated.
in deed much slower, but the (potential) quality is higher.

two things I noticed are important for on the fly speed:

A- distance AND area to be displaced

B- basemesh subdivisons (should be rather high initially)

for A that means if one eg. wants to displace a tile and seams, make sure to displace the seam into the tile and not the tiles out of the base surface. try to keep as much of the base surface "unmoved"

for B that means try to up the sibdivision as high as possible without it causing other trouble (export time, scene navigation speed etc...)
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]