By eric nixon
You dont need to model labels / stickers on glass, sometimes its easier to model them than to setup the mapping and build a decal type material. Its certainly easier to explain the modelling approach, but sometimes a decal approach looks better, and once you've learned how to do it, its a quicker technique.

The only limitation is that the rear of the label will always be white (I havent tried using a backface material for the label - that might work), or you can texture it in greyscale as in this render (with some small-print) but thats a bit of a hack and I'm not even sure if that hack still works in MW3.
By eric nixon
Just try it, there's no trick to it, its just 2 layers, a layer with a weightmap for the label, above a glass layer.

In the case of an empty bottle (no liquid) I guess you would need to use a clone of the material with the label layer weighted at 0 strength for the inner glass poly's. Or maybe just use the glass layer on its own (I haven't tested how fussy MW3 is about those rules).

If you want the to put a greyscale texture onto the reverse of the label, thats my secret for now (I did give the recipe to NL a few years ago in case I get hit by a bus etc. :wink: ), but at least you know that it is possible, as you can see in the render if you zoom in.
By eric nixon
Forgot to mention, now that backface materials are possible, that would probably work better for the back of the label.
By seghier
Jennifer12345 wrote:Hello
That Looks good
Could you share the material or show us the steps?
Thanks
the best way is to prepare the uv mapping of the object to create uv texture and mask for the backface material
in studio you can use two methods :
create simple glass material and simple textured material ( with texture created before for the label) and one as backface material
the backface material must have two layers : layer for glass and layer with mask
than create two triangle groups and apply the materials
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the second way is to create two materials ; each material have two layers : one for glass with label and the second is the backface material
-----------
the backface material you can use the texture and decrease the contrast and increase the brightness to make it more real
or try with transmittance ( i don't tried it )
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]