By bograt
Make a colourful metallic material, (I would use a very saturated colour for ref0 slightly lighter ref90, maybe use nd 90)
set roughness to what you want, maybe around 10-30,
Use r2 to pump more colour into it e.g box one: 1 box 2: 100, use an opacity map on the layer, you can make one by creating noise in photoshop and then playing around with levels, threshold scale etc (the end result should be almost completely black and white)
Place this layer just below the polished surface layer.
finally, use a normal map to make then flakes sparkle, people often miss such uses with normal maps but you can make each individual pixel act as if they were facing different angles, try to use a different single colour for each flake.
I have not actually tried this but I am fairly sure it will work
I have not actually tried this but I am fairly sure it will work
Bograt its not very helpful to recommend things you haven't tried.
Obviously you have great enthusiasm and curiosity for unbiased rendering, but please accept your still learning, and most of your early conclusions may be wrong.

From now on please back up your 'advice' with renders. Misinformation is a real problem on this forum.

The day before yesterday you told someone they could reduce the reflection of glass by lowering ND.. true but then its not glass anymore, and the reflectance chip is actually the best variable to reduce reflection.. :roll:
By bograt
Eric your clearly a brute, and a pompous brute at that.
In virtually every post I have read of yours you are criticising people, Have you considered that 'I have not tried this' is a disclaimer, I did try it just after posting and it worked...
I agree that mis-information is a problem, in that light you should really have posted my full comment "you can always just reduce the Fresnel ior, its not entirely realistic but it is good enough for flat sheets of glass''
I do have enthusiasm and curiosity for rendering, correct.
Banter or not you are very patronising so stop fouling peoples posts
I am sorry, If I seem brutish, I dont have time to write long polite posts. I'm here to help and its helpful to tell people when theyre talking nonsense.

I can see why you might protest because the side effect is that it highlights your error. I can tell your young and inquisitive, but youngsters are annoying when they think they understand / theyve learnt something new and want to shout about it.

The advice you gave about reflection was wrong, simple, dont get upset, and if your technique for carpaint works please share the render.
By bograt
This is the technique I described, the maps I used were 'rocks' normal map and noise from the database so it could be improved on greatly.

Eric it really sounds like your trying to pick a fight.
The advice I gave about reflection was not wrong so stop being so arrogant. Your not here to help, your here to wind people up which is simply destructive.
eric nixon wrote:These renders would have been impressive maybe in 1991,...But its actually 2012, and this looks no better than your average game character
Well lets see, I seem to be engaged in a conversation with a deluded child, I should really ignore this but there are some interesting points.

Re. CP you cant paint on indiviual flakes via a weightmmap, thats the advice I'm calling foul. CP has flakes everywhere, your on the right track, try multiple layers with no weightmaps.

Re. Reflection, I can see why your so defensive
brute,.. pompous brute at that... you are very patronising so stop fouling peoples posts
this is because your embarassed that you evidently dont understand that R0 is reflection, If someone asks such a simple question as how do I reduce reflection, and you dont mention R0/R90 what other conclusion is there.

Now regarding the forum, because there is no moderation here, bullshit flies here, and it gets more and more like the you-tube comments section. I actually hate being the bad guy, trying to keep the facts straight. Bear in mind that there arent many expert maxwell users who frequent this place anymore... and I may quit also and leave you all wailing like sirens on the beach of confusion.

Here I compiled a gif, please notice how the flakes only show up in highlight areas;
Last edited by eric nixon on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By bograt
eric nixon wrote: this is because your embarassed that you evidently dont understand that R0 is reflection, If someone asks such a simple question as how do I reduce reflection, and you dont mention R0/R90 what other conclusion is there.
I was allowing for the possibility that he may have used the wizard to create glass in which fresnel is forced and ref0/90 is 0 black

The car paint material I made uses a normal map to control flake angle, if car paint has flakes everywhere it is a fair point to mention, I could not find any signs of this online so I did not include it. Yes I would use multiple layers in this case.
and I may quit also and leave you all wailing like sirens on the beach of confusion.
Whats wrong with you?
I have spent too much time bickering with you to continue but you need to chill the fuck out
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]