By mverta
To celebrate the release of 1.5, I have done a series of videos on creating materials in Maxwell.

This is the first video, Part One, which covers scene setup and calibration, as well as some basic "should-knows" about Maxwell. Part Two will be released in a couple of days, covering all the basic channel functions and interrelativity, with more detailed videos on intermediate and advanced techniques to follow.

Enjoy!

Part One: Setup & Basics
Maxwell Material Tutorial Video - Part One - 144MB.

Part Two: Basics
Maxwell Material Tutorial Video - Part Two (1 of 3) - 180MB.
Maxwell Material Tutorial Video - Part Two (2 of 3) - 160MB.
Maxwell Material Tutorial Video - Part Two (3 of 3) - 130MB.

The videos assume a basic working knowledge of Maxwell. For some instruction on basic operation, see my Maya Plug-In videos:
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... hp?t=20214

_Mike
Last edited by mverta on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
By LesliePere
Thanks Mike! Great tips! Can't wait for the next ones.

PS: The 2nd link you gave at the bottom (maxwellrender.com...) just takes you to the main forum page.
By cream
sweet, thanks for this Mike :D
cant wait to see the rest
By zoppo
with this kind of compelling speech you should become a televangelist!

"242 WHITE - AND YOU WILL SEE THE LIGHT!"

great work, thanks :wink:
Last edited by zoppo on Thu May 24, 2007 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By b-kandor
Cool vid Mike - it's very informative to see your methodology. Thanks!
By Dexel
Thank you very much! My viewing experience oscillated between reassurance and enlightenment.. Looking forward to the sequel.
Regarding the calibration process, I would appreciate to hear your take on burn and gamma.
By JTB
Always a big help Michael, thanks
By mverta
My take on burn and gamma is: 0.8/2.2 That's what you should always leave it at to get properly calibrated/predictable results from Maxwell.

_Mike
By Thomas An.
Dexel wrote:Thank you very much! My viewing experience oscillated between reassurance and enlightenment.. Looking forward to the sequel.
Regarding the calibration process, I would appreciate to hear your take on burn and gamma.
As Mike correctly mentioned, the particular combination of 0.8 and 2.2 will give a good 1:1 color correspondence between input and output. Any other combination will change that balance. Of course if your artistic judgment requires a more contrasty image no one stops you from lowering the gamma ... but 0.8 and 2.2 is your neutral point. The datum.
By numerobis
Yes, great tutorial, thanks Mike!
i'm waiting for the next "episode" :D

"242 the magic number" this is good to hear - i thought it was 218-225?!? so i don't have to render grey walls instead of white anymore? ( :wink: ) is this true?
By Dexel
Thanks Mike and Thomas!
By mverta
numerobis wrote:"242 the magic number" this is good to hear - i thought it was 218-225?!? so i don't have to render grey walls instead of white anymore? ( :wink: ) is this true?
As I say in the video, 242 is just the best upper limit - you can be more conservative - many people are - but you don't want to go above this. My typical "white range" is usually 230-242.

_Mike
By numerobis
ahh, ok. Thanks! :D
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]