By lllab
"SIMPLIFICATION"

...well please only as an option, i understand this for some users, but please keep deep controll as it is now and make it even more controllable.

if maxwell would incorporate some proceduals then they must be real real good. the only app where proceduals are not crap i is cinema4d. they somehow managed to have cool proceduals (or better they bought it from a artist called david farmer). or there are some external apps, forgot the name, it is incorporated by modo...

but i really think it cannot replace real textures. there i would wish that i can mix textures with the basic color, to have a texture only at 50% p.e. or to be able to mix 2 or3 or10 textures with photoshop like layers.

then please give us relative path, so that maxwell doesnt loose the textures when changing pc.

at the end from the opinions here i guess maxwell should make a good wizard that produces materials like beta, and to further improve the pro material editor for the others, so both are happy.

and please before adding anything, fix all known bugs+plugins and improve WORKFLOW...

my2cent
cheers

stefan
By KRZ
ok this is a new morning and im sorry if my words have been abit overexcited.

the reason i was getting upset is just that NL has like every other company limited ressources and therefore need to prioritize. while i can understand that a big material library can help alot to get a quick start with maxwell i can also understand that that wish should not be maximum priority since we only have a v1.0 on the paper but not in the product yet.

to get the importer and plugins fixed or important features like the -hd option or resume render should be much highter on the vocal wishlist of this forum.

the reason i got so angry was mainly because i think that the material editor is actually the part of maxwell that shines the most right now.
its boiled down to the essentiall knobs and it gives results that are predictable after some learning time.
compared to mentalray or brazil, maxwells editor is really a pleasure (in my opinion) to use.

sorry fran for pickin on you the most directly, but your wish to bring back the beta in a very vocal and contious way seemed just counterproductive to me. (if i got you right on that you want to have more predictable wizard-presets i wont opose - just please dont slam the editor like it now is, the problem is not the editor but the missing indept reference).

but hei isnt mihais threat trying to fix that?
By beppeg
After reading 11 pages I totally agree with you KRZ, and thanx to Mihai, mverta and Tom for the help ;)
I spend 12 years fighting with biased material, so for me the new M~R material system is amazing :)
By jespi
beppeg wrote:After reading 11 pages I totally agree with you KRZ, and thanx to Mihai, mverta and Tom for the help ;)
I spend 12 years fighting with biased material, so for me the new M~R material system is amazing :)
For me too :D
By j_man
I've got to say I'm having a great time making new materials! still a lot I don't understand though.
And I'd never use a pre-defined library of materials, maybe just to have a look at if I was stuck!
I'm looking forward to when the R2 is implemented as a graph controlled by spinners rather than a file.

BTW this has been a helpful discussion.

J.
By Frances
KRZ wrote:sorry fran for pickin on you the most directly, but your wish to bring back the beta in a very vocal and contious way seemed just counterproductive to me. (if i got you right on that you want to have more predictable wizard-presets i wont opose - just please dont slam the editor like it now is, the problem is not the editor but the missing indept reference).

but hei isnt mihais threat trying to fix that?
The beta can never come back. It's dead. The engine that produced the renders I was so excited about is dead. I'm not the one who wants to bring back the beta.
By aitraaz
Ok folks but we need to be forward moving here, life is full of these kinds of problems. :)

@JD: and some, um, prefer, er, ah whatever...

:)
By Voidmonster
Sidestepping all the typical, useless forum arguing...

Thanks for posting this up, Mihai! I had been wondering about the mechanics of the attenuation value and your description cleared it up completely.
By bathsheba
j_man wrote:I've got to say I'm having a great time making new materials! still a lot I don't understand though.
And I'd never use a pre-defined library of materials, maybe just to have a look at if I was stuck!
Well, I'm stuck.

Making new materials is not fun for me. I need to spend my time modeling sculpture, not playing with a renderer to reinvent basic real materials.

It's not possible for me to wade through many pages of forum postings to understand how this material editor works. That's what I had to do with AIR, and I threw away my license of that. You can call me stupid if you like, but I cannot use a renderer that is difficult to use. I'm only one person doing hundreds of tasks already, and I don't have any more time.

I bought Maxwell because it was easy. The material settings in the beta were very limited, but I could make better renderings with them than I can now, because there was less room to make mistakes.

-Sheba
By j_man
bathsheba wrote:Well, I'm stuck...
Well I can understand that you're busy, and so am I! but any rendering system takes time. When I was learning final render, it took ages to get around the gazillion buttons in the render dialog. When I learnt VRay it took me a long time to learn the best settings for glass, and different metals, and as for when MR was bundled with Max(6?) don't even start me on what I went through with those damn Lume shaders!

I'm still forgetting where I need my Nd, and trying to get my head around R2 (whats that dam second number again?) but compared to other systems is this really so complicated?

I just don't understand why everyone wants a 'glass' button, or a 'I am metal' button, if that was the case everyones rendering would look the same. There are basic materials in the library, and there is a wizard that will provide you with a base to elaborate on. There are also 256 ior files for specific materials which I can't ever imagine using.

J.
By DELETED
DELETED
By jotero
Hello all :)

basic real materials comes Friday of me :)

my test plastic and glass no sphere maxwell v.1
time 1h dual 2,4 xeon 2 threads S.L: 12.36

no sphere:

preview :)

my test plastic and glass with sphere maxwell v.1
time 1h dual 2,4 xeon 2 threads S.L: 8.20

with sphere:

preview :)

plastic_basic

ciao
torolf
By j_man
8etty wrote:maxwell...as easy as taking a photo :D

EDIT:

the kiddo with the frisbee on his head is mihai's grand-grandfather :D
LOL!

I never liked that strapline also, want a croc!

Thanks Torolf, BTW shouldn't you weight the two DSDF layers so they add up to 100?

Here is one from me also. Chrome with a light scratch on it.
BTW I put the map on the anistropy channel but now I'm confused, maybe it sohuld just be in the bump! LOL.

http://maxwell.joshuanewman.net/files/chromescratch.zip

J.
By jotero
j_man wrote:Thanks Torolf, BTW shouldn't you weight the two DSDF layers so they add up to 100?
yes plastic :wink:
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]