By Forester
Dedicated to Mark Bell, whose wide-ranging intellectual curiosity and kindness should inspire us all.

This Guide began as a tutorial, but because of the length, it seems better suited as a simple set of documents. The document was originally prepared to help people trained primarily in studio lighting to better understand image-based lighting.  I don't suppose any "guide" is truely "comprehensive," but this document does attempt to cover the subject in a reasonably complete fashion.

The Guide is organized into four sections.

Part 1- Preface and Basic Concepts

The first part explains some very basic things, such as the nature of an HDRI image and how it is made, how it is deployed in a rendering engine and where you can obtain good quality HDRI images. The first part ends with some observations about building a library for yourself so that you can easily draw from a collection of HDRI images.
9 pages
HDRI_Guide_Preface_And_Part1.pdf

Part 2 – The Mechanics Of Image-Based Lighting In Maxwell Render

The second part also is elementary. This section outlines the simple mechanics of image-based lighting in Maxwell Render. For those who might be curious, some key features of other rendering applications are described that represent changes taking place in the technology of image-based rendering.
12 pages
HDRI Guide_Part2.pdf

Part 3 – Selection Of An Appropriate High Dynamic Range Image

This part of the document presents the core of the subject. This section goes into the technical properties of the various kinds of HDR image file formats in a little more depth. It describes how to select an HDR image based on the amount of light required for the render, and requirements for color, light direction, degree of light softness and light variability. One sub-section explains how to locate key orientation points in an HDR image so that you can precisely control light direction in a render. Other sub-sections describe Filestar, HDRI Light Studio and Real HDR – applications that are important tools for regular work in image-based lighting. One purpose of this part is to help you become familiar with the most versatile and well-known of the HDR images in the marketplace.
45 pages
HDRI Guide_Part3.pdf

Part 4- Background Images – “Backplates”

Some people use image-based lighting in a rendering application primarily for, ... or only for the purpose of putting 3D objects into a context, ...a scene suggested by a background of some type. All rendering engines support the use of background images (increasingly known as “backplates”) in image-based lighting. This section describes the use of backplates, mechanisms for their use and ways to create your own. This part ends with a short section on “starscape” backgrounds and lighting as this particular subject is not well covered elsewhere.
12 pages

While this document is lengthy and full of many small “facts,” “tips” and image comparisons, it is not necessary that you read it in its entirety. Nor is it necessary to read it in order. For example, you really don’t need to know how an HDR image is made to be able to use it well. If Maxwell Render is not your primary rendering application, you can skip Part 2. Part 4 deals with a subject important to only some users. To be able to use image-based lighting with some expertise, all that is really necessary is to read and understand the concepts and information presented in Part 3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Forester on Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Forester
Part 4 of the document that would not attach to the first post.
HDRI Guide_Part4.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Forester
If you want to download these tutorial pieces, they are now available on CGTrader (free, of course) . I will be closing my Expandingwave.com website at the end of October 2022, so the download links above will not work, starting in November.
By Forester
Today, I DID close the Expandingwave website, at least as far as the Store and client download area are concerned. So, if you want the tutorial documents, you will need to download them from CGTrader as described above. ( I'll probably re-open the Client Download area and use the website as a portfolio and blog, sometime in January. I'll try to repost any tutorial documents on that sire again in January.)
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]