Everything related to the integration for 3dsmax.
By Aleksey Borisov
Hi, it's looks like no one use 3DS Max plug-in here, otherwise why is no one report about material preview bug?..

In Max material editor I made a new material. But preview is not updating. It's looks like this:

Any changes in material properties has no effect to preview. When I click right button and chose "Update preview" nothing change as well.

Okey. I'm going to MXED. Here I can see preview. After MXED closing and saving changes Max preview magically update. For now. If you want to see any future updates, you need to make it in MXED and only after closing Max preview is updating.

Another problem is when you open MXED and then save and close it, all nodes in Material editor resets. It's mean all old nodes detouch and new duplicate is appear. Look here:

I have to delete old ones (from the top left). It happens again after each saving in MXED.

How to keep updated Max preview and avoid nods duplication after finishing editing in MXED?

P.S. I'm using Max 2018.
By Forum Moderator
Hello Aleksey,

If you want to get a preview from Maxwell you have to click the most to the right button below the layer structure. You can also make it refresh automatically (in Preferences > Maxwell tab) but I'm afraid it doesn't work as well as expected, as it lags a bit. We'll try to improve this part soon.

Regarding the issue of the nodes disconnecting after saving the file from MXED, what the plugin does is disregard old information and generate the nodes for the new ones coming from MXED (as it cannot know if they changed or are completely new). The truth is that this structure was not initially thought to work in slate mode (as it didn't exist at that moment). Let's see if we can improve this so it cleans the old ones without too much hassle.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Best wishes,
Fernando
By Aleksey Borisov
That's will be great! I can't see thumbnail preview in Max so I need to open editor. As soon as I open editor nodes are doubled. It's ruined workflow. To update any changes I need to open editor again and again delete all duplicates.

What the very low level button you've mentioned? Can you post printscreen? Maybe I can use it instead.
By Forum Moderator
Hello Aleksey,

If you select the material node you will see on the right the Maxwell Material tree panel with all the details (like in compact mode). The preview button is highlighted in red in the attachment:
Capture 3dsmax mat editor.PNG
I hope this helps.

Have a nice weekend!
Fernando
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Forum Moderator
Hello Aleksey,

If I'm not wrong, one of the reasons to keep the old nodes in the editor is that the plugin is not able to know if the nodes are connected to another material, so we could be deleting maps, BSDFs or layers of other materials. We will try to check if there's an easy way to evaluate those possible connections, but probably it will mean a slowdown. Let's see if we can improve this.

Best,
Fernando
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]