Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By John Layne
Hi

I have tried to install using Alien on Linspire with no sucess. I'm a total newbie with Linux and am trying to set up a mini render farm.

Any chance some one from NL could give me a step by step on how to get the plugin woring with an easy linux like Linspire or Ubunto.
By Brett Morgan
John, not sure what package management linspire uses, OK just checked and it seems debian based :D

to install alien (if your sources.list is configured properly) either use synapse package manager in the applications menu(not sure if its there) or use this command:

sudo apt-get install alien

then change dirs to the location of the rpm and type

sudo alien -c packagename.rpm

then you'll have your debian package, then

sudo dpkg -i nextlimitpackagename.deb

then setup your env variables

thats how i did it, and after that you'll be banging your head against the wall because the documentation on installing under linux is pretty non existant, let alone any sort of trouble shooting guide :roll:

Hope this helps some

Brett
By Brett Morgan
OK another error to figure out:
/usr/NextLimit/Maxwell/bin/mxcl.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libqt -mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixed that by installing the libarary DUH :D

sudo apt-get install libqt3-mt

command line works now, wasnt getting this error last night though, seems very odd!!

Brett
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]