Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Mark Bell
Mark Bell wrote: ↑ Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:01 am
It NL hasn't yet completed all the programming for the various plugins maybe the native formats can be added to the list of import options in the standalone Studio so at least data can be imported. The current formats available (http://www.nextlimit.com/maxwell/maxwell-studio/ ) should include the other formats anyway for those that opt not to get the plugin or it's incompatible with their older version?

OBJ STL LWO NFF XC2 MXS DXF 3DS XML FBX PLY DAE BIN SD DEM ABC

Tea-Bag wrote - "Mark this would be great if NL can do this if not aleady in V5!"

The main point with this is allows NL to release Maxwell 5 with the ability to import all the native formats so everyone can at least use it with their software, then release the various plugins as they get tested and implemented. Some appear to be ready with the new release , others will follow through as each goes through the testing. My office uses Maxwell for design and presentation of buildings and interiors we design. There's nothing worse than when a client expects everything asap. The only thing that happens is quality suffers. We use DataCAD architectural software which doesn't even have a plugin for Maxwell yet our workflow works well via direct import through the various options available. The more import formats that are added, the more Maxwell can be used by other softwares. The best way to ensure future enhancements and new features for Maxwell is to support it.
By sinatropus
gloomer wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:40 pm

the last release of v4 is not as promised. so, what about full-working v4 version of free upgrade to v5?
Don’t hold your breath. I guess in Spain one can mislead ones clients with impunity.
On another topic, I can think of two reasons why to sell a product like a pig in a poke, which is to build hype or to sell an unfinished product. Version 4 was a warning, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the list promised for v4 is still missing some key features in v5.
NextLimit, you are making it really difficult for us to upgrade, and furthermore, actually promote your product to others, which in itself is amazing, because I have no trust left in you as a business or developer, and I wouldn’t dare to fail others, by recommending it to anyone in the current predicament.
By numerobis
I just saw that Maxwell 5 has been announced. Really? So this was Maxwell 4?!? An unfinished, unusable GPU version, a slow two-pass-denoising solution and a new exaggarated price scheme? Really? Unbelievable...
And: "You have been waiting for this version for a long time, and we know it."
Err... no, i was waiting for a proper v4 that deserves the name since 3 years now.

"Catch it before it's gone!"
Hard selling...?
"Pre-order now your Maxwell 5 license before anyone else"
Surely not! I'm really glad, i didn't fall for the v4 scam.
But maybe this time everything will be completely different... we'll see.

"What does Maxwell 5 include?
Maxwell 5 comes with several new features to be unveiled."

Oh, really? Wow! A new version with NEW features and then even SEVERAL of them? Unbelievable! Sounds great!
So what are these "several new features"? Do you really expect people to preorder without knowing exactly what will come (and function), especially after this v4 disaster? Why don't you just release a full list, so people can decide?
So additive layers on GPU is now called a new feature, right?
And I see, that there finally is Multi-GPU Support. Which is nice, but should also have been in Maxwell 4 because it is one of the most basic "features" that is standard for every serious GPU renderer.
So if these are already two of the "several new features", how many are left?
And regarding GPU... What about CPU+GPU? And CPU+GPU over network? Is GPU now supporting all missing features? You showed these numbers, but it's missing some important information: what was the scene about? Or do you want to say that a RTX 2060 is 25x faster than a E5-1650v3 in general? Is this using RT-cores? How is the VRAM usage? 2MPix is not really that big. How about memory pooling on RTX-cards? Or out-of-core rendering? How about Multilight on GPU? etc. ...

The upgrade price is 276€ for every plugin (floating) and 95€ for 5 nodes.
So compared to the upgrade to v4 coming from v3 with all plugins and 10 render nodes i now don't even get the second plugin anymore? (yes, i noticed the lower price) And rendernodes are still not upgradable and more expensive (10 nodes = 190€) than new nodes bought with a new plugin (95€)?
Why still no upgrade option for 10 nodes? V3 came with 10 nodes, do you remember? What am i supposed to do when i need more that 5 nodes? Buy another plugin plus additional nodes?
I see that the upgrade option for v1 and v2 licenses is back. Why did you first remove it and now brought it back?

So let's see... With the old v1 and v2 licences included i will at least be able to upgrade all the plugins i need. At this "never be seen and lowest upgrade price ever" for 3DSmax, SketchUp, Rhino, Studio and 10 nodes i would have to pay 276€ x 4 for 3 plugins and Studio + 190€ for 2x 5 nodes = 1294€
For the upgrade to v3 with ALL plugins and 10 nodes the upgrade price was ~490€ (if i remember correctly) and 383€ with discount. So this is a price increase of ~240% for much less plugins and flexibility.

"at a never seen before price - we can assure that it will be the lowest upgrade price ever!"
"Pre-order now your Maxwell 5 license upgrade at a never seen before price! Discount available just for a few days."

LOL, yes, sure. I will buy additive Layers and some Multi-GPU-Chart for this historically "low" price and hope that the rest of the missing features maybe will be added later. Maybe in three years with v6? So what will the price be about in a few days? 2000€ instead of 1294€?

Is this just another money grab to finance the development of Anyverse and other new projects or will there be some constant development this time with real progress in the future?
What's going on here?!? Did you ever realize how other engines, especially Corona and V-Ray improved over the last years? Do you really expect your customers to pay for 2-3 new features in 3 years while other products improve more in a few months or even weeks?
How about transparency about the planned development?
Did you just forgot to mention that several plugins are not available now and some maybe never will be?
Believe it or not, but other developers offer detailed roadmaps even with their much shorter release cycles and even react to user wishes.
(and they don't call their forums a reminiscence but use them to interact with their users...)

I suppose the old dielectric problem and the shadow termination problem still haven't been solved?

(btw. sorry, but to watch these short clips about Maxwell 5 and additve layers as advertisement for v5 is just sad (and the music is horrible). Do you really think this is good marketing for your product?)
Last edited by numerobis on Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By gloomer
sinatropus wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:19 am
gloomer wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:40 pm

the last release of v4 is not as promised. so, what about full-working v4 version of free upgrade to v5?
Don’t hold your breath. I guess in Spain one can mislead ones clients with impunity.
On another topic, I can think of two reasons why to sell a product like a pig in a poke, which is to build hype or to sell an unfinished product. Version 4 was a warning, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the list promised for v4 is still missing some key features in v5.
NextLimit, you are making it really difficult for us to upgrade, and furthermore, actually promote your product to others, which in itself is amazing, because I have no trust left in you as a business or developer, and I wouldn’t dare to fail others, by recommending it to anyone in the current predicament.
But this post was not publicated in Spain and for Spain only. It was a public promise.
By PA3K
Sad to say, but numerobis is right.
It seems to me, that real maxwellrender development left with Juan Canada. Look at these old documents:
http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/20 ... render.pdf
http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/20 ... al.pdf.pdf
If NL want to restart maxwell development, they should start with what was good in the past, what brought them customers in the past. Clear communication is the base of everything. Ideally with developer. This forum is different to social media - here is more technical related posts. Luis Hijarrubia (also left) was very good in communication. Where are those features, that he coded? Do you remember his old posts about some kind of texture and material parameters randomizer?
And that sentence in mail "*Disclaimer: Offer available until Maxwell 5 launches." means that we can not know what we are buying for discounted price.
I will even prefer donations to this marketing and business scheme if there is not enough money for development.
I want maxwell to be what it was.
By Mark Bell
Interesting development feedback. After going through them it only further supports why we're choosing to stay with Maxwell. With all the negativity on the forum over the last year or so we started to look at alternative rendering software and have come full circle. There's a lot out there, not all is suitable with our primary CAD/BIM software, some have a heavy learning curve compared to Maxwell, others appear better in certain areas but lack in other parts, those that offer speed often compromise on quality or revert back to faking lighting or involve a lot of setup and tweaking etc. For us, Maxwell fits in well with our workflow, (we've been using it since v1.6), has been relatively easy to learn, creates realistic images and is enjoyable to use. I guess each office/user has to work out where they fit in the market they're in and choose what works best. Knowing Maxwell's aim is to stay true to accuracy and realism gives us confidence we've got the right software for the work we do. It's probably a software that was ahead of its time and now hardware is catching up it can only keep getting better.
By Nasok
Well ... technically GPU on Macs are not really supported .. I mean as long as Maxwell doesn't support Radeon Cards (which are in every iMac, Mac Pro, ... iMac Pro .. and so on) - it is hardly can be counted as supported.

That's why, I'm just hoping that V5 brings something more than just refreshments to GPU workflow as for Mac users - it is basically ...well.. not relevant (unless, again Radeon Cards are supported).

I'm not talking about some hacking-is set-ups where you would attach external video card from Nvidia and then try your best to find drivers for Mac .. which aren't really exist.
🤷‍♀️ - I'm talking about supporting what's out of the box solution.

So it is really hard to justify the update for Mac users if V5 will bring GPU .. even if it is the best GPU ever ..
I like Maxwell and I totally agree it is truly one of a kind engine. Material editor - is just a blast. I'm using other render engines for some projects but those can't be compared to Maxwell's Material Editor .. as it's the best in my opinion ... the only thing that could improve it is to make it Node-based .. everything else - is there. Nothing to wish for :)

Honestly, I'm even fine with the CPU speed ... I just wish it will be a little less crashy :) and maybe will have some essential things like snapshots for FIRE, isolated previews, debugging, and etc.
By luis.hijarrubia
PA3K wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:15 pm
This forum is different to social media - here is more technical related posts. Luis Hijarrubia (also left) was very good in communication. Where are those features, that he coded? Do you remember his old posts about some kind of texture and material parameters randomizer?
I have to deny this. I still work on Next Limit. And I work for maxwell 100%. I implemented the additives for GPU, and that could seem simple, but some tens of thousand lines of code of GPU had to be remade in order to have Additives without a huge performance penalty. And thanks to that (and some other things, It's not like I did it all), maxwell 5 GPU is faster than V4 gpu. I mean with same card, same scene, just 1 card, and we are talking about 2x faster.

I don't want to interfere with maxwell 5 promotion. When all features are revealed and product is launched I will be back here talking about what are we working on right now and we can talk about future development.

p.d.: Randomizer textures are other of my children as I showed here, and I don't know if they are considered a feature to headline the promotion or they are just one more line in the Release notes, but I really like them and I'm nervious to see what can you do with them.
By Q2
Thanks Luis for the clarification.

Keep up the great work you guys do even though you definitely went through some tough times in the past.

Can't wait to see the final Version 5 and I am super happy that Maxwell will live on.

Thanks to the whole team!!!

Cheers

Carsten
By AndreasAM
Randomized Textures!!
That's definitely a first teaser for pre-ordering for me. I have been requesting this for a long time.

Still requesting more information!! The publishing of all the release notes to loyal customers before pre-ordering would be welcomed.
I join the fellow Mac-users who are anxious about any improvements of V5 to our benefits. We are still left without a useable GPU-system. Just using the GPU for acceleration.
of Fire is not enough. Put it to the Metal 2 please....

Thanks anyway Luïs.

Andreas
By PA3K
Luis, Thank You for beeing here. I appreciate Your work and even more Your communication with us here on this forum.
I thought that You left because there were no posts from You for a long time. Now I see, You are here.
https://es.linkedin.com/in/luis-hijarru ... full-click
I hope NL will give You enough freedom in future with creativity and maxwell development and in creation of maxwell roadmap and comunication here on this forum. I don`t know, if You are now main developer or one of main developers. Once again - Thank You for beeing here ;-).
Patrik
By Raphael Tobar
Thank you Luis. I have faith in Next Limit to do what's right. I understand the backlash regarding pricing but I think it overlooks the bigger picture, and the amount of work it took to migrate towards GPU. I want Maxwell to live on. Technology is beginning to favor, speed-wise, Maxwell's computational algorithms, I wouldn't be surprised it will become dominant again in the VFX/Animation industry. I'm using it in my artistic works with awesome results, it's hard for me to look back, even compared to Octane.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]