Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Raphael Tobar
I only bought a Maxwell license this past year due to nostalgia. First got exposed to it in v2 and was blown away while I was studying 3D. Wanted to give Next Limit support and finally be proud to have it, while also hoping for full-implementation of GPU processing. That's not to say I'm not proud of the tech. It's still a great renderer, just CPU heavy. It'll take another generation, 4-6 years, until multi-core processors (32-core) become mainstream affordable to render 4K+ at home with ease.
By acrighton
It certainly does appear to be abandoned. Not helped by the lack of input/response seen on this forum from NextLimit staff. Sad to see such an amazing application simply being abandoned in this manner, with no apparent effort to promote and sell it. NL only have themselves to blame for the demise of the product as a premier render engine. If NL have no interest or desire to keep MR going, perhaps it would be best for them to sell it off?
By dmeyer
I can't speak for the company but what I have heard is that Maxwell and Realflow have not been abandoned per se but have been deprioritized as the company reorients and expands into new fields. When it might be re-prioritized is anyone's guess.

I do know that Juan Canada left the company quite awhile ago but whether that is a related matter is not something i can speculate on.
By feynman
It's been abandoned, that much is obvious. I transition 30 + 20 seats to godawful Keyshot (twice the price of MR Studio), as it is the only standalone option for industrial, packaging and automotive designers left in the market. Next Limit simply threw a huge user base under the bus.
By James Linehan
It's doubtful they abandoned it. 3D programs go through stages of lows and highs in development. There is still things that Maxwell render does that no other render can touch for instance it's subsurface scattering. there are some multi lights and other things. It's a highly specialized app
By Forum Moderator
This is a sensitive topic, but I can say Maxwell is not abandoned.

Dmeyer's guess is quite close to the real thing; most probably we will be able to give you some good news in the short-mid term.

Best regards,
Fernando
By William Usher
feynman wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:47 pm
It's been abandoned, that much is obvious. I transition 30 + 20 seats to godawful Keyshot (twice the price of MR Studio), as it is the only standalone option for industrial, packaging and automotive designers left in the market. Next Limit simply threw a huge user base under the bus.
Keyshot is OK for fast work. For less frequent more realistic work you could have 1 license for Maxwell
By William Usher
feynman wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:47 pm
Also, how did they throw the user base under the bus? What's changed in the last 10 years? It was never perfect and still functions.
By feynman
William Usher wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:20 pm
Also, how did they throw the user base under the bus? What's changed in the last 10 years? It was never perfect and still functions.
The many Maxwell Studio bugs or functionality shortcomings were never addressed. The SolidWorks plug-in eliminated. Instead, things like "Roombox" are developed.
By feynman
Maverick is what Maxwell Studio could have been.

- Usable by product designers (Siemens NX, Alias, Creo, Catia, Fusion 360, SolidWorks)
- Ok pricing for larger installations
- No subscription model available
- Great quality output
- A community that is not dead like this forum

What is lacking in Maverick are features like Maxwell Studio Grass and Scatter functions

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]