Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Max
considering how they litterally ripped off their users with v4 prices and plugins changes, i wont be surprised if they will release a V5 and make u pay for multi gpu.
i dont know if you guys have noticed but this "However, even if the pace of development is not as fast as we would have liked, we are working in having a version ready with MultiGPU and support for additive layers in material as well as other improvements. " was posted on august.

that says enough i guess?
But the adaptation of an existing render engine for GPU is certainly not an easy task. Some well-known products disappeared already and even Chaosgroup/V-Ray struggles with the demand for GPU-rendering for all their supported platforms and operation systems....
Well yes it is looks like it as it is 2 year since we got GPU right.
I my case i am waiting CPU and Denoiser improvments so bad. I like Denoiser as it make render noise free, if you render out 2-3 K it is works good but takes 3-4 hour - needs to be faster.

Hope NL will inform us about any upcoming improvments.
I just got Octane as a speed and animation alternative - it's amazing and all but out of the box the renders just don't have that lighting and camera subtlety that Maxwell has. It takes a bit of nodal setup to make things looking right, especially the metals.

But I just want to say, once Maxwell has the features promised with speed increase I would switch in a heartbeat as a primary renderer. I would still use it for final still-frames though, because of that lighting subtlety and realistic camera. I render images at 4k to 9K for large print work it would be massive help for a speed increase so I don't have to send it to a render farm. Maxwell is ironically just way ahead of its time but also late in a lot of things.
Octane...

As for industrial design software (Siemens NX, Alias, Speedform, SolidWorks, Rhino, Fusion, Creo) Octane and others offer no plugin or Maxwell Studio standalone render equivalent, that leaves only dreadful Keyshot as the only option for a huge market of users. Why NextLimit chose to abandon this market, which needs the ease of use of Maxwell with its simple camera-like approach and top realism, is very hard to understand.
By Max
Christian Zuppinger wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:15 pm
But the adaptation of an existing render engine for GPU is certainly not an easy task. Some well-known products disappeared already and even Chaosgroup/V-Ray struggles with the demand for GPU-rendering for all their supported platforms and operation systems....
okay a bit of numbers and datas since people seem to forget something here:

Maxwell 3.2 (which is latest maxwell 3.2 version) released Oct. 5, 2015 source: https://support.nextlimit.com/display/m ... ease+Notes

Maxwell 4.0 released 31 Oct 2016 http://support.nextlimit.com/display/ma ... ease+Notes

latest Maxwell 4.2 release Wed, 21 Feb 2018 https://support.nextlimit.com/display/m ... ease+Notes

so, we dont know exactly when this GPU development started but being generous and assuming it started after 3.2 ended.

almost 3 years and no finished gpu system. i wouldnt hold my breath if i were you.

oh and let me be clear, i have nothing against developers, more against decision makers aka shareholders or whos behind the curtain here, they litterally killed a good product.
I've been notified a while ago that the Solidworks plugin is discontinued. This has been very disappointing as I've been a Maxwell user for over 12years. While the plugin is not critical, the ability to either export .mxs or import solid works files into Studio would allow me to continue to use Maxwell. I will soon need to upgrade to a newer Solidworks version and don't see a solution yet. Am I missing something or is there no proper plan in place?
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]