Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
choo-chee wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:22 am
after reading all users opinions here at the tread I've started, I just think, NL must give at least 3 monthes MR free license to new users, I don't think they make any money from MR now so why not give it a shot...
And that is another thing i dont like about NL. After a price change policy disaster, after cutting off plugins, in my case when i bought V4 upgrade you were asked to pick a software of your choice beside Maxwell Studio licence. I dont use bilions of softwares, i have license for some, i'm a freelancer, so when i got asked which software i wanted the "plugin" for, i had to pick one. And i picked Maya just because i thought eventually some studios would use that more often.

I dont have maya but i had to pick something (this is also a very bad forced thing to do to your customers especially because you just cut off the support for the software i was paying for, without further notice, but okay i understand, Softimage is EOL ok fine). After some time i was about to get hired for some jobs in a studio that had 3ds max and maxwell requirements. I never used Maya + maxwell in my whole life because i dont have it, so you can say that the license i got forced to pick during the V4 price change/upgrade was completely useless to me.

I asked NL to swap my Maya license with 3ds max one, bare with me the price is EXACTLY the same. They wouldnt lose a single cent if they agreed to do so, and i asked them JUST for once and for all. They refused.

Now while is their prerogative to say yes or no, could you please explain to me what harm that would have done considering 1) the disaster they have made with the new policy 2) the price of the licenses was the same 3) i asked for once only, not that you would change software plugin license every day.

Another company would have probably agreed to that. Bottom line, i feel like they dont even care and they do not treat customers very good to be honest.
dont let me started to the v3>v4 price and plugin update disaster.
Oh dear @feynman , I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings :)
It wasn't specifically about you. It was more in general about people who would prefer to complain instead of doing something. Sorry to hear that you took it personally :)

Anyway :)
Let's make it clear that complaining about that Maxwell is not something that it never was is useless and makes absolutely no sense. It's like coming to an ice-cream store and asking why they don't have sorbet, and complaining that you can't digest lactose and blaming them that this is their fault 🤷‍♀️

Also, how about we would turn this discussion back to the original topic. And let's be constructive. Listing out the problems and personal issues will not help. How about posting a solutions, suggestions and insights - that will help NextLimit to improve.

I think we can create a list of constructive suggestions and pass it on to NL and ask for their comments / thoughts on each point there. That way we could see if we're really aligned with them. And they would see what we're up-to. Eventually it is easy. They want us to keep using their software (and tell our friends how cool it is). And we want to use their software and do beautiful visuals.

Let me start.
  • Dedicate a specific person to solve customer's issues with licensing, or clarify licensing restrictions before people would finalise their purchase.
(Maybe this person could use a live chat / be active on forum so that you don't have to wait for a days to get a response)
Nasok wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:48 am
I think we can create a list of constructive suggestions and pass it on to NL and ask for their comments
There is UserVoice which is made for that,
Allegorithmic (again) uses it to communicate with its users and to improve its applications.
The voting system makes it very effective and we can see that they advance on some features.
(but NL must participate, otherwise it is useless ...)
Substance Designer UserVoice
Nasok wrote:
How about posting a solutions, suggestions and insights - that will help NextLimit to improve.
1. Increase CPU and GPU render speed
2. Make CPU rendering usable and offer multi-GPU support
3. Make FIRE usable
4. Keep Studio for Creo, Alias, Catia, Rhino and SolidWorks environments
5. Proper material gallery
6. Cutting edge eye-friendly forum based on Discourse
7. Build a community instead of a niche cult
Nasok wrote:
And we want to use their software and do beautiful visuals.
We want to use software to accomplish tasks on time and on budget to earn money, and to be at the pub just after 5pm. Hobby users with unlimited funds and time on their hands can become Blender experts.
1.Increase speed is the first thing.
2.When you do 4-5k render with Denoiser it take pretty much time on saving image after each SL, I do not know how it is crucial but would like to read off it .
3. Make fully supported with Forest Pro as in Architectural visualization it is very important.
4. Make Denoiser faster and one step processing at the end.
I didn't want to post here anymore since NL declared forums to be dead ( viewtopic.php?f=140&t=44564&start=15#p393314 ) and it seems that wishes and critics are simply ignored anyway (over many years) and that they just don't want to interact with their customers. So why repeat all the obvious wishes and suggestions all the time? Everything has already been said many times and should be obvious anyway. So i'm not sure what this thread is about?
There have been tons of posts regarding issues, wishes and suggestions over the last decade. And i suppose NL is completely aware of what's going on in the market (Corona, V-Ray, Arnold, FStorm, Redshift, Octane, or real time engines like Unreal; or for example regarding todays standard workflows in archviz) - even if it seems like they are not, if you look at threads like this "Guess the improvement" thread. They choose to act like this for whatever reason (regarding features and licensing) - even if it looks completely incomprehensible.
So i think a thread like this won't do anything. There have been more than enough user suggestions over the years (in times where the forum was still active) that almost never led to anything. They simply ignored it.

And regarding the old mantra of maxwell being physically correct and absolutely real... sorry, but it's just BS. I don't know how people can still say this after all these years, considering they have used maxwell in this time. For example you never could and still CAN'T render dielectric materials in a physically correct way. Build a pool with a "physically correct" water material and you'll see that nothing is behaving "physically correct". Theoretically maybe, yes, but show me only ONE physically correct pool that has been done as part of a real production rendering. It's simply not possible in even an already extremely exaggerated time frame (render time). And NL promised to address this issue more than 12 years ago - nothing happened. And poolwater is only one situation where you can't get physically correct results. You have to use fake-glass without refraction, absorbtion and aberration, which might be ok for many situations, but simply is not what it would look like in reality.
(Btw. how can a "two pass" denoiser help in these situations to reduce rendertime when caustics show up only at extemely high SLs...?)
Last edited by numerobis on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
numerobis wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:05 pm
And regarding the old mantra of maxwell being physically correct and absolutely real... sorry, but it's just BS.
I dont think people think it's absolutely real, Maxwell Render remains a simulator.
But it remains possible to do better or worse...

For Luis's post, it's sad.
What he says is not totally true, on most of the forums I use, companies communicate with their users.
This even tends to be more and more the case.
Earlier in this thread I said in error that openvdb wasn't available for c4d plugin. I just realised it is included in the last version. Its able to render Turbulence4D clouds quite well, I'll need to test if dust works..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lebulb wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:10 pm
For Luis's post, it's sad. What he says is not totally true, on most of the forums I use, companies communicate with their users. This even tends to be more and more the case.
If one considers the ever buzzing and expanding Dassault, McNeel or Autodesk forums, claiming that forums are a thing of the past is nothing but a sign of ignorance and hybris, verging on autism.
@numerobis - but, do you have a suggestion ? or you've posted here just to say that everything is bad and that's it ? :)
Come on - let's think positive :)

Feels like you have a lot of experience with NextLimit .. that is amazing - to me that means that you should know what could work. Maybe if it is not a forum thread ... hmm .. maybe Lebulb is right .. maybe UserVoice .. poll / ticket voting concept would do - at least developers would see how important it is for existing users and would decide if it is worth their time.
On the other hand it is also harder to ignore something when it is obvious that majority of users want this and not something else.

+1 for UserVoice / ticket voting system.

P.S. - and generally I think Allegorithmic guys are pretty good at growing and maintaining the community around their products. Maybe it is generally a good to take inspiration from :)
Nasok wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 am
at least developers would see how important it is for existing users
NL obtains constant feedback from direct customer requests and the forum since day 1. It doesn't matter much. No ticketing or whatever snazzy doo-dah will do much, when the company could be strapped for personnel or cash flow or has other priorities.
feynman wrote:
lebulb wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:10 pm
For Luis's post, it's sad. What he says is not totally true, on most of the forums I use, companies communicate with their users. This even tends to be more and more the case.
If one considers the ever buzzing and expanding Dassault, McNeel or Autodesk forums, claiming that forums are a thing of the past is nothing but a sign of ignorance and hybris, verging on autism.
Well, that's just my opinion, it's nothing like an official statement. And I love forums format, as I consider it makes information more ordered and easy to find. And I really was (and I am) working a lot with forums at home. I just have the impression that they are less used than in 2007 when other social networks where begining. It's just my experience with them. That doesn't mean that they are not useful or even expanding on some nitche.

And for the rest of the thread, I just remember this is a technical forum, a way to contact with other users and programmers. We can help with some how to do things and technical issues. But we are just programmers, we don't decide anything about product politics, and the people deciding don't read the forum.
Last edited by luis.hijarrubia on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
luis.hijarrubia wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:34 am
...... and the people deciding doesn't read the forum.
And that is the reason Maxwell is in this state now :)
Not programmers fault if they get dictated on what to do and what not. Maybe in one of your coffee breaks if you'd ever meet a deciding person, tell him to go take a look at forums if you can :D

I know what it means to work behind softwares, and none of my posts are aimed to insult or lack of respect to these people because their job is hard. That said it feels like Maxwell lately is aligning to Autodesk in terms of pricing/policy/delivery/releases/customer support/ and overall sloppyness.

Cheers, must not be fun for you guys, i guess.

Max
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]