Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
Hi,

I agree with a lot of the above. As an architect, maxwell studio is redundant and rendering straight out of the plugin is the only feasible way to incorporate requested design changes by boss or client in a timely manner.

I think final render output quality for most engines is now pretty good. I think the way to differentiate packages is the ease of use which maxwell is great at due to the real world parameters.
The other is the ability to make quick changes. Most archviz images on the internet are created with cinema 4d/max which are completely useless tools to a designer. We would outsource any final renders to viz professionals, as the difference between a good and great render these days is the attention to detail, not the render engine. I’m talking items such as furniture model libraries/folds in the bed sheets/forest pack scattered trees etc which no designer can be bothered with.

I’ve said this before in a previous post but I think the maxwell fire plugin window has a lot of potential to emulate the live octane window you see online that is so popular. I’ve invested years learning the various settings in Maxwell but if I had to start from scratch I would be learning octane. I’m finding these days every year there is another program to learn which is pain. If the fire window could produce similar fast results it would be great and then you could use the main render for high quality final products. This would require the following.
- Immediate feedback to the model rather than having to constantly re-export/refresh the fire window. Cpu single core speed is the biggest bottleneck to speed at the moment
- Better quality
- Faster speed/multi-gpu support
- There are some unusual difference between fire and final renders
- No crashing

Hope that’s of some help. Obviously the program caters to a wide ranges of uses that might disagree with the above
So, I have this image I have been unable to finish since November last year, because...well this is, in my opinion more than a bug since a large part of the interface that's needed to map an openvdb is missing in the Max plugin. If I had studio it would have been easy to solve it by just bringing the scene into studio and render it there instead.

But I only bought Maxwell from version 4, so no studio.

Nowadays I do graphics as a hobby, so I can be a bit patient, but the new pricing structure is a problem. I could of course just buy studio, but I don't want to, it irritates me that I would have to pay extra for something I should have already payed for. And yes, I have been looking at other renderers of late. But I don't really want to do that either, I really love Maxwell. It works the way we sort of fantasized about when we developed the worlds first raytraceer for 3DStudio (originally developed for version 3 and released for Max version 1.0).

I have been waiting for 6 months now for a really serious bugfix. I also do music as a hobby. My software of choice in that area is Reaper, and a bug of this magnitude would probably have been fixed within a week (or sometimes a day).

So, yes, there actually are some serious problems.
Laurence Clifford wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:29 pm
Hi,

...rendering straight out of the plugin is the only feasible way to incorporate requested design changes by boss or client in a timely manner.

Most archviz images on the internet are created with cinema 4d/max which are completely useless tools to a designer. We would outsource any final renders to viz professionals, as the difference between a good and great render these days is the attention to detail, not the render engine. I’m talking items such as furniture model libraries/folds in the bed sheets/forest pack scattered trees etc which no designer can be bothered with.
I agree with all of this.

Philip
IngvarH wrote:So, I have this image I have been unable to finish since November last year, because...well this is, in my opinion more than a bug since a large part of the interface that's needed to map an openvdb is missing in the Max plugin. If I had studio it would have been easy to solve it by just bringing the scene into studio and render it there instead.

But I only bought Maxwell from version 4, so no studio.

Nowadays I do graphics as a hobby, so I can be a bit patient, but the new pricing structure is a problem. I could of course just buy studio, but I don't want to, it irritates me that I would have to pay extra for something I should have already payed for. And yes, I have been looking at other renderers of late. But I don't really want to do that either, I really love Maxwell. It works the way we sort of fantasized about when we developed the worlds first raytraceer for 3DStudio (originally developed for version 3 and released for Max version 1.0).

I have been waiting for 6 months now for a really serious bugfix. I also do music as a hobby. My software of choice in that area is Reaper, and a bug of this magnitude would probably have been fixed within a week (or sometimes a day).

So, yes, there actually are some serious problems.
I feel the same. back in the days I was a beta tester for a few CAD apps and ray tracers, with much LESS clients than maxwell, yet every remark or bug report I gave, was fixed in less than a month...I'm waiting for NL to fix a simple and very problematic bug, too - you can't save a denoised HDR image, it's corrupted. I've reported it loooong ago and no fix yet.
Nasok wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:19 pm
So, technically, having "Studio" as a standalone piece of a software - is pretty .... unnecessary .. again .. in my opinion.
For very many industrial designers using Catia, Siemens NX and Alias, Maxwell Studio is indispensable, since no plug-in exists. Also, often suppliers' components have to be integrated, usually arriving via STEP or IGES.

The quick-fix one-click Keyshot render approach just does not look good at all, but the younger generation seems to like smartphone app-like approaches and things which are pre-made so they don't have to learn anything.
I would agree with Feynmans comments above and also that Studio is essential with the current way the plugins work, given they are now a separate purchase. For example, I seem to have trouble doing a pack and go from SketchUp, for upload to a render farm. Therefore, I do this from Studio. Having only the SketchUp plugin, I rely on Studio as I also purchase a lot of mxs based models that SketchUp can not directly open and they often need adjusting in various ways. I believe other 3D programs can import mxs files directly, so having Maya, or 3D Max for example means Studio is a little more redundant. But what maybe redundant for some, is most certainly a must for others.
1: Make it much faster to render.
2:Denoiser must be only one step progress at finish.

3:Make it fully supported with Forest pro

And once again MAKE IT FASTER MUCH FASTER. as comparing with VRAY or CORONA it is 10 times slower and working with 4k resolution feels like 100 time slower.

15-25 hours for one interior render it is not serious nowadays on newest Hardware with 64+ cores - (this is major problem by my point of view)
As i sad Maxwell need to dramatically increase speed of rendering.

one is done in Corona and take 15 min on i7 3960k (12 cores)
enother render is done in Maxwell and take 7 hours on 2x Xeon Gold 6130 (64 cores)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]