Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By mjcherry
Has anyone figured out how to make a truly photorealistic velvet material? If so, I'd love to know how!
By CDRDA
I recently purchased an old bar booth model from Bentanji.com that had a couple of decent velvet materials. They also have some velvet curtains for purchase too and judging by the renders, the materials are of a high standard.

They basically use 2, or 3 additive layers with varying R2 amounts above a base layer. The top R2 additive layer is masked with a high contrast texture, creating the effect of the fibres brushed in different directions.
By CDRDA
I think the velvet looks better on this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Eric Nixon 20170610100005
I haven't used velvet in a render, it never came up, but I made a quick basic material here, a good starting point maybe. Looks a bit odd on the simball shape.

The material would look better if the 'fibers' were oriented 'combed' in various directions, but I'm not sure how to create the anisotropy angle-map with a matching normal map.

Its a shame the forum upload attachment seems broken....., EDIT: I think its attached now. The missing map was just a high contrast noise map.

The material is 2 bsdfs in the base layer, 1 additive bsdf layer for the fine hairs, all bsdf use r2, the base colour bsdf gets darker at the r90, each bsdf gets a bit smoother with a higher nd, and the r2 effect gets stronger. This is just mixed by eye, and could be mixed better by studying references.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By mjcherry
Eric Nixon 20170610100005 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:54 pm
I haven't used velvet in a render, it never came up, but I made a quick basic material here, a good starting point maybe. Looks a bit odd on the simball shape.

The material would look better if the 'fibers' were oriented 'combed' in various directions, but I'm not sure how to create the anisotropy angle-map with a matching normal map.

Its a shame the forum upload attachment seems broken....., EDIT: I think its attached now. The missing map was just a high contrast noise map.

The material is 2 bsdfs in the base layer, 1 additive bsdf layer for the fine hairs, all bsdf use r2, the base colour bsdf gets darker at the r90, each bsdf gets a bit smoother with a higher nd, and the r2 effect gets stronger. This is just mixed by eye, and could be mixed better by studying references.
Yeah, I've been able to get the sheen pretty correct, but it still doesn't look like an actual fabric (like the one on the booth).
By CDRDA
Matthew, I hope this helps- The 1st additive layer reflectance 90 image is a high contrast black and white texture, which creates the effect of the fibres reflecting light at different angles. The 2nd additive layer is masked with a different texture at 20% opacity. There is also a normal map in the global bump.
By CDRDA
With the seemingly permanent coupon code, it's a steal! I've purchased many Bentanji models over the past year and most of their models and Maxwell materials are of a high quality.
By mjcherry
I bought the model. Since I don't have studio I had to recreate the material so thank you very much for the screen shots! I think it's looking good! I doubled the UV on the mask, I'm going to try it as 1x1 as well. What do you think? Then on to fixing the lamp shades and everything else...
By CDRDA
Looking good, really capturing the subtlety of the light on those folds. The detail from the normal/bump maps should really make them standout when rendered out at high res.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]