Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Forum Moderator
Hi Herve,

In which cases would GeoPattern be useful? I saw Andrey was going to add it to Fstorm, but I didn't get what is it useful for. Maybe cloths fibres or other 3d patterns that use geometry?

EDIT: well, yes, I have checked more examples and it looks powerful. I wonder if that geometry can be instanced at some point, as I understand he's deforming the geometry so the bounding boxes match when they follow the surface of the base geometry.
By Herve Steff
Yes, it can be very useful .. Right now we have Displacement.. but it only displace along the Z normal..
Sure we also have Vector Disp... but it's not very practical..

With geo pattern, one could use scans .. for rough terrain with Leaves.. and you named it.. complex fabrics.. but also vegetation...or these trendy carpets with thick wool ...
or even super realistic fur.. devil is in Details.. hehe

Instanced geopattern would be off course a Must ...

just my POV :)
By Forum Moderator
I'm a believer now. I'm speaking about this to everybody around, even to my wife. :P I hope we can come up with something alike in the near future.

Cheers!
F.
By numerobis
I think GeoPattern is basically the same as V-Ray Pattern introduced a long time ago. Andrey (Karba) was working for icube at this time...
http://docs.rendering.ru/en:vraypattern
http://karba.eol3d.com/index.php?sectio ... raypattern

There wasn't much interest here back in the day regarding this feature...
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35582&p=333430#p333430

(btw. the search function of the forum isn't working at all for old posts... a search for vraypattern gives me nothing)
By seghier
numerobis wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:36 pm
I think GeoPattern is basically the same as V-Ray Pattern introduced a long time ago. Andrey (Karba) was working for icube at this time...
http://docs.rendering.ru/en:vraypattern
http://karba.eol3d.com/index.php?sectio ... raypattern

There wasn't much interest here back in the day regarding this feature...
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35582&p=333430#p333430

(btw. the search function of the forum isn't working at all for old posts... a search for vraypattern gives me nothing)
very nice this is useful for cloth rendering; i think there is similar plugin to do that in blender but it create geometry
By luis.hijarrubia
seghier wrote: beautiful ; is it possible to avoid repetition ?
If you use a bigger bitmap and you can use bigger random offset inside it, it will be less evident.
Nasok wrote:So, alright, you can offset, rotate the map ... what about cool variation - can you use only value ? to keep the colour tint the save, but just randomise the values to both positive and negative ?
The color randomizer works as HSV, you set min and max for each. For example:
Min H: 200 Max H: 250
Min S: 200 Max S: 200
Min V: 150 Max V: 200

This will be some blue scale with value difference, but same saturation.

Min H: 0 Max H: 0
Min S: 0 Max S: 0
Min V:0 Max V: 255

Perfect random greyscale

And you can even set minimum bigger than maximum and that means connect on the other side.

Min H: 335 Max H: 12
Min S: 200 Max S: 200
Min V:200 Max V: 50

This will give color from red band, but value will be vert dark or very bright, (black-like or intense Red-like) but no intermediate value options.
By seghier
luis.hijarrubia wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:39 am
If you use a bigger bitmap and you can use bigger random offset inside it, it will be less evident.
can you add support for use of multiple images in case we can't find big image?
By luis.hijarrubia
seghier wrote:
luis.hijarrubia wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:39 am
can you add support for use of multiple images in case we can't find big image?
Quick response: No. At least no with the current Texture extension system. As we can't have dinamic number or fields nor folder field.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]