Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By mjcherry
Who uses aperture maps and how do you use them?

When I shot a lot of film, I would sometimes use a filter to give a bit of bloom and star streaks to a light. Can we use an aperture map to do that?

Anyway, would love to see some examples of how you guys are using them!
By Mihai
You could do that but you'd have to make a very narrow star shaped map, with the amount of streaks you'd like to see around the highlights. But the diffraction simulens thing though is very old and I don't think any work has been done to it since it was added many years ago. If you push it too hard it blurs the entire scene.
By Eric Nixon 20170610100005
I made this map today, hope it helps, you will need an instense lightsource ofcourse.
aperture_medium slit big.png
diffraction was 258 Frequency 1593 bokeh ratio 2, angle 0, Glare is a post effect so camera settings dont really matter other than artistic preference, it is fiddly esp the frequency setting but it does work.
medium slit big D258 F1593 bokeh2-0.png
Just the car is 3d, lit by the high-res hdri background, the carlights are 2cm low-poly spheres, the bowl is simple bsdf nd500 roughness 4, glass-rough 0 has a normal map applied to the inside surface by way of cubic mapping non-tiling with a offset... Maxwell workflow lol.

p.s. car grille needs better geo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By mjcherry
OMG, I'm just seeing this now. This is fantastic! I need really figure out how to use it, but seriously, thank you! I'd love to see more examples of how you use them.
By Mihai
Old addition to Maxwell but still looks nice in many cases :) I only wish we had more control for the Glare and the Scattering of where to apply it - a balance slider to make it affect more or less *only* the bright parts of a render, even if you really push it.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]