Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By fi3er
these are super helpful @dmeyer, looking into getting a new machine and this helps a lot to understand what diff CPUs offer
thanks again
By Mihai
Yes, big thanks for taking the time and sharing these results. My 6700K takes about 8min30secs...the 7980XE looks very strong and there are still plenty of tasks that are single threaded.
By dmeyer
Yes, the 7980XE is as good as it gets in a single socket, especially when overclocked.

Do not go cheap on the motherboard for this chip if you intend to overclock as the VRM design is important.

The Asus Rampage VI is decent, the VRM designs on the EVGA FTW and Dark are better. Gigabyte also has a Designaure X299 coming out that looks ok.
By fi3er
Hi dmeyer,

so looking at your tests concluded thus far & looking at prices of custom builds featuring the different CPUs,
it seems to me that 7980xe is the most suitable performance/price wise. (for my budget which is £5k)

I am considering a build (viewtopic.php?f=140&t=45085) featuring 7980xe,
but unsure if to go with overclocked one or the @stock speed. The workstation will be rendering overnight 7 days a week, so not much downtime for it to cool down. Do you think its better to stick with the @stock speed for such continuous rendering or the overclocking speed gain is worth the instability risk?

thanks a lot for sharing your tests.

D
By dmeyer
fi3er wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 pm
Hi dmeyer,

so looking at your tests concluded thus far & looking at prices of custom builds featuring the different CPUs,
it seems to me that 7980xe is the most suitable performance/price wise. (for my budget which is £5k)

I am considering a build (viewtopic.php?f=140&t=45085) featuring 7980xe,
but unsure if to go with overclocked one or the @stock speed. The workstation will be rendering overnight 7 days a week, so not much downtime for it to cool down. Do you think its better to stick with the @stock speed for such continuous rendering or the overclocking speed gain is worth the instability risk?

thanks a lot for sharing your tests.

D
Technically yes overclocking will reduce reliability of a system, but whether or not it does to a degree that is meaningful for you is a personal choice. A reasonably conservative overclock that is tuned well can run for years at load if there is sufficient cooling and power delivery.

And the "cool down time" really isn't terribly relevant. Any decent cooling system will cool the chip back to idle levels within a minute after the rendering stops.

I say go for the overclock and if you experience instability its simple enough to back off to stock speeds.
By dmeyer
Just an update - I am seeing some very weird behavior with the benchwell and other bundled scenes when it comes to dual processor machines, and it varies by 4.x version.

Until this gets sorted out I would lean on the cinebench and v-ray benchmarks when trying to determine performance potential of each machine.
By dmeyer
bump for some added results in the first post.

Just goes to show how much of a monster the 18 core i9 is when overclocked.

The Threadripper 1950x is also a great value but in my experience doesn't respond to overclocking quite as well.
By arcmos
@Eduardo G

Can you give us some more specs of your rendernode(s) with the 1950X?

RAM, Mainboard, cooling etc.
By fi3er
Just ran Benchwell on my new system:

Intel i9-7980xe CPU, water cooled, overclocked @ 4.0 Ghz, 128GB RAM, motherboard ASUS Rampage VI extreme

Benchwell Maxwell 3.2.1.5:
time: 2:02 (not sure if this will be lower or higher in v4 Benchwell?)

Cinebench:

full system specs here
posting.php?mode=reply&f=140&t=45085

@dmeyer, this looks in line with your test results on i9, correct?
By dmeyer
fi3er wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:41 pm
Just ran Benchwell on my new system:

Intel i9-7980xe CPU, water cooled, overclocked @ 4.0 Ghz, 128GB RAM, motherboard ASUS Rampage VI extreme

Benchwell Maxwell 3.2.1.5:
time: 2:02 (not sure if this will be lower or higher in v4 Benchwell?)

Cinebench:

@dmeyer, this looks in line with your test results on i9, correct?
Yep that's about what I'd expect.
By dmeyer
Eduardo G wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:22 pm
The AMD Threadripper 1950X has, by far, the best price performance ratio.
I agree, sort of. The chip itself is significantly cheaper, but the rest of the system components are not. So it really depends on the rest of the system specs whether or not the chip savings as a percent of system are significant to you. A user doing a $12K system is probably less concerned about saving $800 on a cpu than a user doing a $5K system.
By arcmos
@dmeyer
Thank's for the great hardware infos in the Maxwell TV episode 2.

You guys have some great "toys" to play with. About your renderfarm, how much RAM you usually put in these things? You've mentioned Dell PowerEdge servers.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]