Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By choo-chee
First let me congratulate you for developing a great piece of software. I use it for about 10 years for now.
That said, I'm quite sure you mentioned the mood here in the forum of your loyal users, for the V4 disappointment.
You probably see that the gallery and the WIP sections are 99% dead. You probably know that the cg-architect survey about rendering engines usage marked maxwell low - very low - when it should be on top. and not only there. You probably know by now that the main culprit of Maxwell is the looong render times.
As for myself, I really wanna continue using maxwell. it's the best.
But this is not the way. Actually since v. 2.7 no real advancement (in the speed section esp.) was made. I understand that devs are working according to management decisions.
But those decisions are supposed to be made by true understanding clients and their needs, and for the last 2-3 years it looks other than that.
I'm quite sure it's the first time - even after upgrading to v.3 fro v.2 from v.1 - that I really start to think, what's next.
I really like to know if any plans are made about the future road-map of maxwell render.
See v.4 is not match for v.3 and GPU isn't there, sorry. Unless clients can be sure their investment in software (and knowledge about using it) they'll simply leave.
Competition today is much stronger and closer.
I hope to be answered soon.
By acrighton
Choo-chee, your comments are spot on. I've been on the sidelines watching V4, and honestly have never seen such a mismanaged product launch, ever. NL has been, IMO, more concerned in defending their (awful) decisions, rather than acknowledge the mess they created and fixing it. The fact that NL sold off their Next Limit Dynamics to Dassault makes me worried for the future of Maxwell. Is NL up for sale? I've been through a number of company acquisitions, and I tend to think NL is getting itself ready for precisely that??? What else could explain their obvious short sighted behavior?

I’m sure there are many MR users concerned about future direction of MR, and wondering if it’s time to consider another render engine. I’ve been on board since V2 and think MR is totally awesome, if a little slow.

Some clear direction from NL management here on this forum would certainly help.
By Herbo
I can only join the concerned chorus here. I bought v4 right at launch, and it must be the worst money i've ever spend. there isn't a single new feature i can use (gpu is no where NEAR ready for any production pipeline), and the stuff that i already had stopped working (interfaces, material-editors, stability issues ect..).
It makes me really worried that NL can let a product like that slip through quality control, and it seems like they just wanted it out as fast as possible. And with the new license/price system, it seems like they needed to make as much money as possible fast... Smells like an unhealthy company to me.

I really hope they get it all together. v4 has a lot of potential, and gpu could be a game changer in terms of speed...if it worked. right now it's an expensive beta product.

i've been using maxwell since forever, and i really dont want to change engine...
By gloomer
I like Maxwell render for its quality. I'm ready to forgive even constant crashes with and without reasons. Also I understand that I couldn't buy v3 with all plugins, so v4 Studio is a good solution for me. So if they finish GPU render as they promised in v4 I'll be quite satisfied.
By Half Life
To me this all hinges on what the final form of the GPU rendering capabilities is. If the engine is substantially faster, but retains full Maxwell quality and capability -- and it appears within a fairly reasonable time frame then I think this may all blow over to some degree.

I will say the release of version 4 (to date) does feel a bit like some sort of disingenuous hidden crowd-funding scheme.
By Rafal SLEK
Half Life wrote: I will say the release of version 4 (to date) does feel a bit like some sort of disingenuous hidden crowd-funding scheme.
:-)
By feynman
Half Life wrote:I will say the release of version 4 (to date) does feel a bit like some sort of disingenuous hidden crowd-funding scheme.
CG Architect survey - bottom of the pile
Industrial design forums - an also ran
V4 GPU - unusable for lack of core features
V4 CPU - buggy and slow as before
New pricing and plug-in scheme - irrational

Industrial designers in studios everywhere rapidly need to switch to a better supported software. Recommendations, anyone?
By dk2079
feynman wrote:
Half Life wrote:I will say the release of version 4 (to date) does feel a bit like some sort of disingenuous hidden crowd-funding scheme.
CG Architect survey - bottom of the pile
Industrial design forums - an also ran
V4 GPU - unusable for lack of core features
V4 CPU - buggy and slow as before
New pricing and plug-in scheme - irrational

Industrial designers in studios everywhere rapidly need to switch to a better supported software. Recommendations, anyone?

very productive comment.

what are you doing still here?
By Rafal SLEK
feynman wrote: CG Architect survey - bottom of the pile
So I've checked CG Architect survey (I am one of them :D ) and draw red arrow for Maxwell:

By feynman
dk2079 wrote:what are you doing still here?
What are YOU doing here, I may ask? Insulting fellow commenters does not cut it, I'm afraid.

So, how about your render software recommendation then?
By Tea_Bag
Rafal SLEK wrote:
feynman wrote: CG Architect survey - bottom of the pile
So I've checked CG Architect survey (I am one of them :D ) and draw red arrow for Maxwell:

A pretty respectable position considering every week a new renderer pops up! :P People just have to be patient - Maxwell will be better if NL nails the GPU renderer
By dk2079
feynman wrote:
dk2079 wrote:what are you doing still here?
What are YOU doing here, I may ask? Insulting fellow commenters does not cut it, I'm afraid.

So, how about your render software recommendation then?

this thread is called "a word to the devs" , and not "dump your sh*t here".
By feynman
The aloof arrogance of your presumptuous judgmental attitude speaks volumes. It is sad to see how forums like this are deteriorating into a mess of immature berating and belittling.

Who do you think you are you to declare other forum members' opinions invalid? If you do not agree with something, behave like an adult.
By Luca_Studioaltieri
choo-chee wrote:I hope to be answered soon.
I hope too..

I love Maxwell for the quality, I hate Maxwell 'cause i really can't accept to pay for a "not-100%-working" application (also V3 still buggy) and.... I'm really worried about future (= job).
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]