Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
It would be helpful I think to a lot of users if they knew exactly how to install V4 in order to still be able to use V3. At least for those with node locked licenses. In the installer, should one check or not:

- Network tools
- MXI file browser
- file associations

What should you keep in mind if install nodelocked vs floating V4 licenses and still want to keep working with V3? With floating licences, should you merge licenses so you have both V3 and V4 licenses in the same .lic file?
Mihai wrote:It would be helpful I think to a lot of users if they knew exactly how to install V4 in order to still be able to use V3. At least for those with node locked licenses. In the installer, should one check or not:

- Network tools
- MXI file browser
- file associations

What should you keep in mind if install nodelocked vs floating V4 licenses and still want to keep working with V3? With floating licences, should you merge licenses so you have both V3 and V4 licenses in the same .lic file?
Well each license file has a different name for me. I have 3 licenses files in c:\ProgramData\NextLimit\Maxwell\Licenses

one for maya called licence.lic
one for maxwell 3.0 called maxwell_license.lic
one for maxwlel 4.0 called maxwell_studio.lic

Fortunately they made it so havin different license name wont cause trouble by having them both installed.
Unfortunately in my case I have V3 floating (so RLM) and now V4 node locked. V3 now says it's unlicensed when I start it, after installing V4. I have in licenses:

maxwell_studio (the new V4 nodelocked one)
maxwell_suite_floating (the old V3 floating one which needs RLM)

Not sure why it's saying V3 is now unlicensed. I tried renaming the maxwell_studio, RLM is running...so I don't know what changed for the V3 install/licensing...
Hi Mihai
I have floating licenses
What i do is to copy the v4 license text and paste it in v3
Or like you called it merge than open localhost and reread licenses ( i did that when i maxwell asked me to license and asked me to add license and i find new license in the same file )
I tried other thing by change number of localhost for V3 to 5055 but localhost:5055 didn't opened and i am not sure if that work or not to make both version runing at the same time with different servers
Rlm will read one file for both versions but runing the two versions at the same time is not possible
The same for all other plugin licenses i paste them in the same file
In localhost:5054 > status
It must be read the license file
seghier wrote: I have floating licenses
I wrote I have a node locked V4 licenses, not a floating one. So it should in no way interfere with my V3 floating licenses which need RLM. AFAIK node locked licenses don't even need an RLM server.
seghier wrote: What i do is to copy the v4 license text and paste it in v3
Or like you called it merge than open localhost and reread licenses ( i did that when i maxwell asked me to license and asked me to add license and i find new license in the same file )
I tried other thing by change number of localhost for V3 to 5055 but localhost:5055 didn't opened and i am not sure if that work or not to make both version runing at the same time with different servers
Rlm will read one file for both versions but runing the two versions at the same time is not possible
The same for all other plugin licenses i paste them in the same file
In localhost:5054 > status
It must be read the license file
etc
etc
etc

This is why I wrote this topic. People will likely remain for a long time on V3 so there should be some clear instructions how V4 and V3 can co-habit on the same computer.
Mihai wrote:
seghier wrote: I have floating licenses
I wrote I have a node locked V4 licenses, not a floating one. So it should in no way interfere with my V3 floating licenses which need RLM. AFAIK node locked licenses don't even need an RLM server.
seghier wrote: Yes i know , as long as you have posted this thread maybe that help who they have floating licenses
It is not about how to install, it is what you have bought, that's how you upgrade...
If I upgrade to V4 can I still use my V3 license?
  • 1. If you have a V3 license and you upgrade it to V4, you get the latest version of that same license so you will have V4 and no V3 anymore.
    2. If you upgrade one V3 license to V4 but you have another V3 license left, you will have both V3 and V4.
    3. If you have a V3 license and you buy a new V4 one, you you will have both V3 and V4.
NOTE: You should be able to have both V3 and V4 on the same machine (both licenses and demo versions). Maxwell and Maxwell | Studio will work fine but there might be issues with the plugins, so you will have to use one or the other (switch between plugin versions). Any issues, please contact the Support team via your Customer Portal or our web here.
-source-

... basically, you can have both versions along if you buy a new license or not upgrade all v3 to v4.
You have to have two different licenses for two different products.
Figure that. :roll:

Kept v3, tested demo4 (both working along) ... and moved on .
IMO it's common sense to not rely on a single tool (especially in case of render engines).
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]