Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By mdfmuse
I hope it is okay to start a "bugs" post for Maxwell v4; I cannot find another topic here where I would report bugs. Hopefully as bugs are found, users can report them to Next Limit in this topic.

A few bugs noticed in Maxwell Studio v4.006:

1. Choose an object, then go to 'Modifiers' tab. Click 'New'. The drop-down menu disappears as soon as the mouse click is finished, which leaves no time to choose an option (such as 'SubDivisionModifier'). LMB + click and hold on 'New' and you can then view the drop-down list of modifiers, but still unable to choose any of them. Therefore, I can't specify and use any modifiers.

2. The system messages that normally appear at the bottom left of the Interactive Preview window after pressing 'CPU Fire Render' button are mostly cut off in the display, meaning I can't read them. No matter how I resize this window, only the top 1/3 of the message text appears on screen- the rest is below the bottom of the window (where it cannot be seen).

3. Frequent Maxwell Studio crashes whenever GPU Fire Render option is chosen (compared to minimal crashes when CPU Fire Render is chosen).

My system: Windows 10 Pro (latest version). Intel Core I7-6950X CPU @ 3 GHz, 10 cores. 64 GB RAM. Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) GPU x2.
By luis.hijarrubia
mdfmuse wrote:I hope it is okay to start a "bugs" post for Maxwell v4; I cannot find another topic here where I would report bugs. Hopefully as bugs are found, users can report them to Next Limit in this topic.

A few bugs noticed in Maxwell Studio v4.006:

1. Choose an object, then go to 'Modifiers' tab. Click 'New'. The drop-down menu disappears as soon as the mouse click is finished, which leaves no time to choose an option (such as 'SubDivisionModifier'). LMB + click and hold on 'New' and you can then view the drop-down list of modifiers, but still unable to choose any of them. Therefore, I can't specify and use any modifiers.

2. The system messages that normally appear at the bottom left of the Interactive Preview window after pressing 'CPU Fire Render' button are mostly cut off in the display, meaning I can't read them. No matter how I resize this window, only the top 1/3 of the message text appears on screen- the rest is below the bottom of the window (where it cannot be seen).

3. Frequent Maxwell Studio crashes whenever GPU Fire Render option is chosen (compared to minimal crashes when CPU Fire Render is chosen).

My system: Windows 10 Pro (latest version). Intel Core I7-6950X CPU @ 3 GHz, 10 cores. 64 GB RAM. Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) GPU x2.
We appreciate it. Can you please tell us the resolution of your screen to look at issue 2?
By mdfmuse
Can you please tell us the resolution of your screen to look at issue 2?

Yes- screen resolution is set at: 2560 x 1080
By mdfmuse
Testing GPU versus CPU rendering in Maxwell Render on my PC and getting a poor result with GPU. There is no official documentation yet on GPU usage in Next Limit's on-line Maxwell 4 user manual, so I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. Using a simple MXS scene with one object- an Azalea bush with flowers and leaves and standard sky environment. Within Maxwell Render, and within Render Options, I set the Scene > Quality parameter to 'GPU' to render in GPU mode (I can't find any other way to access GPU except here). I change this from GPU to 'Production' for CPU rendering. All other variables are left the same: Time Limit = 30 minutes; Sampling Level = 16.00, Depth = RGB 8 bpc.

It is clear than when set to GPU, Maxwell is using one of my two GPU's, because it is blazingly fast to render (compared to CPU). When set to CPU, the typical CPU workflow presents itself (waiting for higher levels of rendering to occur, with a much longer render time).

I am unable to post screen shots of the result, because I have no web page to post them to (it looks like the IMG command for this board needs to follow a www web page path- I see no way to simply copy/paste the images into this post). But I can say that the CPU version looks like a standard, good-quality Maxwell render. The GPU version looks very bad: much darker sky environment, badly pixelated areas on the flower petals, dark colors for the leaves (all compared to the CPU version).

I feel like I must be doing something wrong, as the result is so poor. What am I overlooking when trying to switch from CPU to GPU render mode in Maxwell Render?

Thank you!
By Mihai
But there are a few features that aren't yet implemented on GPU. Notably: additive materials, and SSS/thinSSS. This is probably why the renders don't look the same yet.

You can use any image host like imgur.com to upload your images and post the direct link here.
By luis.hijarrubia
Our aim is that in the end, when you switch engine, GPU or Production, you only notice the render time difference, but the image is the same. There's still functionality to be included in the GPU engine and some cases to be fixed, we are on it. But from the user perspective, should be only time difference.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]