Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By choo-chee
generally speaking after reading the posts about the new licensing, it appears as if NL is planning to keep us on maxwell 3. it's better as it supports ALL stuff that gpu on 4 doesn't (yet, I know... but how knows when) and 3 is much more flexible. so what will maxwell 5 pack when/if it comes? by that time i'm quite sure that others will close the gap between them and maxwell.... i think someone at NL made a bad choice about the correct direction development should take....and I have to say I can't see any action to fix that. we all love maxwell, but I was sure I'm gonna revolutionize the speed I get results, and apparently I will not.
choo-chee wrote:it appears as if NL is planning to keep us on maxwell 3.
And this is what I'll do.
- Because I'm scared of all i'm reading in many posts on this board.
- Because I have to work all days with Maxwell for my business and not for workarounding+betatesting+losingtimeandmoney on a software already paid.
- Because Maxwell should be "the solution", and not "the problem".
By numerobis
choo-chee wrote:so what will maxwell 5 pack when/if it comes? by that time i'm quite sure that others will close the gap between them and maxwell....
I don't think it will take that long. It's already happening. Corona offers multilight and resume render now and v-ray will follow in a few months. The quality has improved greatly in the last years and is increasing constantly and since the pressure is high at the corona side (and FStorm) they are moving more and more to a one button solution. I already have a v-ray 3 license for my farm and i'm considering now to make the full switch. If the advantage of the plugin flexibility is gone i can also buy different v-ray plugins and save on the hardware side instead, since i don't need that much computing power anymore. And the v-ray team is much more responsive to the needs of their community, which i think also increased even more after corona came up with its transparent "user driven" development. I really loved maxwell all the time, even if i had to deal with all the workarounds, limitations and missing features, but i think this is the point now where it's too much for me.
Last edited by numerobis on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By choo-chee
yet still, silence from NL. just look at the forum stats to understand the deep abyss NL is dropping maxwell: version 2 has 10 times more threads than version 3. version 3 is a complete product that only needed speed up and maxwell could keep it's 1st spot. instead they did nothing but make it look like the mistakes their competition did ....
By JDHill
choo-chee wrote:yet still, silence from NL.
As has been said before, it is mainly developers who read this forum. If you want to get a message to someone else, I would recommend contacting sales through your portal account, or using the Maxwell blog or facebook.
By choo-chee
JDHill wrote:
choo-chee wrote:yet still, silence from NL.
As has been said before, it is mainly developers who read this forum. If you want to get a message to someone else, I would recommend contacting sales through your portal account, or using the Maxwell blog or facebook.
i think it's a shame that only developers read a forum full of clients, don't you too ?
marketing and management must read some of it. that was my point: the forum no longer consists thousands and thousands of posts....
I check the forum everyday. and believe me, as a partner in a busy arch-viz studio AND family guy with 4 children, i think visiting the forum on a daily basis is a must for me.
By luis.hijarrubia
Forums as a medium are almost a reminiscence. A thing only used for technical support in most companies. Now with a lot of other options like social network a lot of messages have come via facebook or twitter.
By itsallgoode9
I will gladly post a screenshot of my email discount that I was offered and ignored. I was offered to pay $300 USD for an "upgrade" instead of $720 USD for the "upgrade". The GPU looks totally different than the CPU.

Not a dime of mine until you quit selling alphas. Hopefully not a dime of any other user either.

ALPHA DOES NOT GET FULL PRICE OR HALF PRICE
Last edited by itsallgoode9 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By choo-chee
I even don't care that many of the asked features in the "wish list" of the forum were ignored, many of the simple ones.
I just want a faster render engine, like others.
Maybe going in the GPU way was wrong, and developing a maxwell-oriented de-noiser was much better...
By itsallgoode9
choo-chee wrote:I even don't care that many of the asked features in the "wish list" of the forum were ignored, many of the simple ones.
I just want a faster render engine, like others.
Maybe going in the GPU way was wrong, and developing a maxwell-oriented de-noiser was much better...
They held off on GPU way too long. Talked about how graphics cards weren't up to the task because of lack of vram.....psh (3 years ago I was rendering 8500px with 8500px 16 bit textures for displacement and multiple 8500px textures). It's like the Amish talking about how the outside world is the devil.

I'll gladly show and upload the files here if there's a question about what can fit into 6 gb of vram. And now, it's 8 gb of vram.

going GPU saved me $8k of building a new mini farm from scratch. a couple 780 6gb cards took care of that. now I double my speed by spending $1200 on 2x1080's, which i have, and it takes 20 minutes to swap out, instead of building 6 full new computers because of socket change every couple years.
Last edited by itsallgoode9 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By luis.hijarrubia
You are right to blame all the differences from gpu to cpu on supported elements. We are working hard on that, improving every day. And we are convinced to have it really equal soon. The gpu engine will be very solid and we could start to implement more features. GPU is a complete new world, very difficult to develop to, but will be worth it.

As personal advice. Just don't buy it until you are sure the current version of maxwell offers what you want / need / are willing to pay for. I'm sure on each early build and on each official release we are getting near of more and more people getting to that point.
By itsallgoode9
luis.hijarrubia wrote:You are right to blame all the differences from gpu to cpu on supported elements. We are working hard on that, improving every day. And we are convinced to have it really equal soon. The gpu engine will be very solid and we could start to implement more features. GPU is a complete new world, very difficult to develop to, but will be worth it.

As personal advice. Just don't buy it until you are sure the current version of maxwell offers what you want / need / are willing to pay for. I'm sure on each early build and on each official release we are getting near of more and more people getting to that point.

and I agree, I will not pay a dime until next limit gets it up to par. my frustration is that an ALPHA is being sold FULL PRICE.

and NO, two licenses, does NOT make up for the difference of no new features and lack of node licenses. PLEASE quit trying to tell everybody "but you see, it's a better value because you get 2 licenses of your choice" NOBODY here agrees with that idea except for your finance people and your marketing people.

That is EVERYBODY'S frustration... that you have the gull to do that.

All the forum customers are feeling screwed over. You threw your loyal, long time customers to the curb like a piece of trash and you try to tell us it's good for us.

A terrible business is being run here...not because of the lack of polished product but because of the lack of honesty.
By itsallgoode9
please. tell the forum users what is new from v3 to v4 that you sold them a $700 USD upgrade. Please, let everybody know. tell use why you charge such a high price for an upgrade that is an alpha.

what in your upgrade is worth a full license of Octane render?
What in your upgrade is worth a full license of of any renderer out there?

point it out to loyal users here please.

"quality"? nah, everybody is caught up enough to you there
"gpu rendering"? nah, you guys failed at that already and you've been beat
"speed"? nah, years of refusal to touch gpu put you far behind
"price performance ratio?" nah, put $20,000 of cpus vs $8,000 of gpus and see which renders quicker.

what else is there? give the users something that they can justify the upgrade.
Last edited by itsallgoode9 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]