Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Nicolas Rivera
That is all i can say about windows users having the patch first. :evil:

Last time i was a beta tester i have been treated with respect in a way that aldo something for windows was finished, they waited until the mac file was ready. I do not like this, equal treatment to every one who paid for the software is fair enought.

:roll:
Last edited by Nicolas Rivera on Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By lluistar
Nicolas,

I'm in the same boat, waiting for the Mac patch :(

But actually this is same treatment for everybody, the patch are released when they are ready, same with the plugins.

Try to explain a windows user that he has to wait, even when his patch is ready for the engineers to fix the mac one.

You can feel discriminated (i do) because it seems than Next Limit put more resources in the windows side than on the mac side. But wishing that the windows users should wait in agony for the release of a patch that it is already ready while the mac one is still not ready... well... it's a bit childish.

Let them enjoy, even if we can't do it yet. 8)

Salut,
Lluis
By Nicolas Rivera
All of this is just because they are using windows pc's and 3dmax.

Well I'm tired from work, i had a 12 1/2 hour design meeting, so i have to complaint about some thing. :wink:
By Kabe
Well, I'm not happy either to have to wait for it, but I'd be a happy camper when it comes today or tomorrow.

While I generally think it's fair to release it side by side, I think we all should have learned a lesson from the 1.2 beta: The Mac version is crashing all the time because it was more or less delivered after the first compile due to the magic 15th of June.

There is also quite a difference between new features where a new release could wait a day or two, and absolutely neccessary bug fixes for a previous version that is mostly useless.

The images the Maxwell development team shows us days in advance are in the end part of the quality insurance - such images should be created with the Mac version as well.

And yes, they develop on the platform of their primary market, which is much to my sheer astonishment not Cinema on OS X ;-)

Kabe
By juan
Hi,

The code for pc and mac is almost exactly the same, but we have seen so much unstable the mac version. This is not easy to solve, but we are on the rigth way. Like Kabe says, The 1.2.0 version was too unstable on mac and we need to test a little bit more this new patch, sure it will be very fast. The compile process in mac is complex, each platform is compiled in a different way, we need to do that for xcode, codewarrior, codewarrior mach... and we can suffer different issues in each one. Also this first hours of testing in pc will be useful to release a more stable mac version. Sorry for the little delay.

best,

p.s: I don't know how good will be the transition to intel for users, but for multiplatform developers it will be a blessing
Last edited by juan on Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By lluistar
Thanks Juan for your explanation. Y felicidades por tu santo

Salut,
lluis
By Nicolas Rivera
Ok Juan, thanks for the info. As you said "Also this first ours of testing in pc will be useful to release a more stable mac version". So i like the idea of using pc's as lab mice in name of a better mac version. :P

I do not know why every body is having trouble with the mac version, i have not have any problems at all, just the known bugs of the beta.

Thanks Juan y felicidades.
By Kabe
Nicolas Rivera wrote:I do not know why every body is having trouble with the mac version, i have not have any problems at all, just the known bugs of the beta.
That's because you have a single processor G4.
Get a double G5 to know why ;-)

Kabe
By Nicolas Rivera
Good point Kabe, but now i wont ever have a G5. I wil wait for the Intel versions, all G5 will be obsolete by this time next year. :wink:
By Kabe
Nicolas Rivera wrote:Good point Kabe, but now i wont ever have a G5. I wil wait for the Intel versions, all G5 will be obsolete by this time next year. :wink:
:D Nobody can guarantee you that you won't have the kind of the current problems with the new Intel Mac as well.
Reason for this is that the G4s and the G5s are currently compiled using different compilers, as Juan said. So at some time next year there will be a XCode Intel Compiler.

Kabe

Btw: G5s certainly will not be obsolete in a year. It will take quite some time until an Intellimac is a machine that is able to take the normal mixed workload. Might get faster with 3D though.
By Jake256
I just loaded the new plugin for Lightwave and it works a millions times better than the old one. There is still and occasional crash, but I am at least getting an image on my mac. I don't think it will be long.
By Pietro Spampatti
Kabe ...mac for first: mactel and not intellimac please :wink:

P.
By juan
lluistar wrote:Thanks Juan for your explanation. Y felicidades por tu santo
:) muchas gracias!

We have not fixed all the bugs in multiprocessor mac yet, we are working hard with it. Please do not feel discriminated, we are putting our best resources to solve this issues, do not doubt we will give you something great very soon.
By Pietro Spampatti
Thank you very much. Good work for all the NL team.

PETER
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]