Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By noseman
Ok, the story goes like this:
When I dlded M~R beta and the new cinemaxwell plugin, I couldn't render anything more than a few minutes. A crash was always waiting for me.

I first suspected it could be the plugin, so what I did was to get an old mxs scene (focus.mxs) I had made with 3DS max and try to render it from a command line on Mac OSX.
My first tests ended in a crash after a few minutes.
I then started playing with the new mxcl command line features by using the -hd option (-hd = hard disk) and suddenly my renders didn't crash.
M~R ALWAYS crashes upon finish (time limit or samples) but the image is there. By using 99999999 minutes and 25 samples the render goes on!!!

I then returned to cinema and made a few scenes and rendered them with the -hd in the CL options. It seemed to work and then I deleted the -hd option and it worked again.

I don't know what happened, but I can render now.
I may have missed something I did, I dunno really!!!

at the moment I am rendering a hirez scene. I will post it later if everything goes well!

MacOSX - C4D 9.1 - Dual G5 1.8
By yazan
noseman, thats funny, I came here to report the same thing but this is what happens. by the way, I'm on OSX 10.4.1 LW 8.2 G4 1Ghz and 1Gb RAM
I render my test scene, put 1 minute time, -hd option, it finished rendering, I saw that green light in upper right corner instead of amber, opened safari and then it crashed, but before it crashed upon finishing time. So ya, wierdness!
Yazan
By noseman
Not in the beginning. I first tested the -hd option from a command line. I rendered some mxs files I made with C4D.
after that I used it in cinemaxwell. As a matter of fact, I don't even know if the command line options work in cinemaxwell. In the text file it says:
"5.-"Command line" options for MacOSX still don't work."

I don't know what is happening with maxwell beta because it seems that the cinemaxwell plugin causes many problems. when I render older files (March 24 - from 3ds max) it renders in beta fine. If I make new mxs files from C4D I get a load of problems.

I am totaly puzzled! :?
By Kabe
Confirmed. The -hd option helps. However, it just means that it takes longer to the crash, which happens at least after half an hour.

Kabe
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]