Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Mattia Sullini
No smiles, but no anger either! We are anxiously waiting the real beta...stop joking, come on!
By mgroeteke
pillo wrote:just another 2cents from me...

usually when we purchase a main software we are used to deal with upgrade, some of them released the day after the software is *officially* released... I should call them bug fix... (macosx, windows, photoshop, they all share this policy)
usually these programs are costy products, not just betas, alphas, but completed projects.

maxwell is software under developement.
it means that it doesn't work by definition.
so it is just a matter of finding quickly bugs and list them so that maxwell team can fix'em.

this is a great opportunity we have (...we paid for this...).
In fact this process should prevent any issue when the final version is released....

so I wouldn't worry it now is not perfect.
It is better like this than having version 1.0 to be fixed, in october...

ciao
pillo

PS - beside that at the moment we can use it... may be with a lot of problems, may be just for fun, just for the gallery...
in real world nobody with a minimum project planning in mind would use some not reliable tool in a comercial work... so no pressure, just for fun right now.
pillo i agree with your arguments, on the other side this is a beta version where the user did invest some money for getting some (more or less good working) software. we did get this discount from them and the next limit guys made a good deal too, because they can already invest our money for research (and for paying the bills to developers), in addition they have a feedback how well or bad this renderer works. kind of good balance i think.
usually, a beta version is a *working* version of a software where most of the features are implemented, but where the bugs have to be eliminated. an alpha version is much more a development version where some features of the final release are even not implemented yet. it's odd that at least on the OSX side the beta stage seems not to be achieved yet.
so i can understand OSX users (including myself) complaining that in this beta nothing seems to work well, especially if we could already play better with the so called alpha.
but probably we should have confidence and wait for the next patch, i'm sure someday we will have our fun, too with this renderer. it makes me a bit sad that's always OSX users that have to wait an extra month or so for implemented features (see the difference of the actual LW plugins for mac and PC) or bugfix. we did pay the same amount of money, we give the same amount of feedback in the forums, maybe it's not fair...

my additional 2 eurocents :roll:

markus
By yazan
adehus that was funny "Crashwell". There has been some acknowledgment, victor had asked to send over the scenes that had problems in LW forum and I asked if we can send OSX problems too and he said yes
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3681
I'm as pissed as any of the OSX users out there feeling left out. But I can also understand, a few seconds later.... PISSED! then understand.. pissed... unde.... you get the point!
By Jake256
I'm not sure what to send Victor. None of them work although I have had limited success with one file. It might be easier to send this good file and figure why it DOES work.

I'm not trying to be flip. This is not some hard to corner bug. This almost a total failure all the way down the line. I'm not sure that sending him hundreds the files that don't work will help isolate any bugs. How do you start sifting through that kind of carnage?

It can't be possible that all the OSX testing NL has done has worked and they need access to files that don't work, is it? Really, I am being very serious about this matter.

Has anyone else sent a file that doesn't work?
By mgroeteke
Jake256 wrote:I'm not sure what to send Victor. None of them work although I have had limited success with one file. It might be easier to send this good file and figure why it DOES work.

I'm not trying to be flip. This is not some hard to corner bug. This almost a total failure all the way down the line. I'm not sure that sending him hundreds the files that don't work will help isolate any bugs. How do you start sifting through that kind of carnage?

It can't be possible that all the OSX testing NL has done has worked and they need access to files that don't work, is it? Really, I am being very serious about this matter.

Has anyone else sent a file that doesn't work?
no, not yet - same thoughts here - because really NO file renders fine! this version is totally messed up. moreover, i cannot believe that inside the NL team they don't have some at least simple OSX test files. if this files did not present any problems rendering with the beta, maybe they can post it to us for testing the beta on different OSX configs? would make sense in my opinion.

anyway - waiting for a patch, then probably sending in test files makes more sense, but that's only my opinion. btw. there is at least one test file (yazan's) to download already in this forum, together with the respective render results.

markus
By Jake256
I don't think there is much that can be said.
By Nicolas Rivera
Hi, i use Cinemaxwell plugin and has no problen at all, just a crash when stoping the render.

I downloaded beta, follow the samesteps as alpha, install the pluging and reboot. Thats it.
By Kabe
Nicolas, what kind of OS X and machine do you use?

Thanks

Kabe
By Nicolas Rivera
For the first 4 images cinemaxwell 0.5 and MR beta, for the last 4 cinemaxwell 0.4 and MR alpha.

Well, i'm using an imac 800mhz 1gb Ram, 64mb of shitty video memory. OSX 10.3.9, i have tiger, but i need a new HD to install it via firewire.

Cinema 4d 8.5 and MaxwellRender Beta.

I do have the black dots fron time to time, but seems to disapear if i scale the model bigger or smaller, but i do not know if this is it.

The dof is working now.
By rmulley
well I'm so pissed off.....if I had read this forum before I got ripped off $500 maybe I wouldn't have bothered.

A Beta version should be friggin' useable to some degree....I can't even get the thing to start.

How do I go about getting my money back ?
I'd rather stump up more money down the road and buy a proper working version.
Unlike a lot of people on this site I have no technical knowledge of computers....I'm a designer and after seeing al thos wonerful PC rendered images I got totally sucked in.
NL should make a statement about the OSX version being totally unuseable.

I wouldn't have mind just some success to show the potential for some of my clients....but I can't even do that.

AArrrrggghhhhh......so annoyed!
By goncalo
Hy there... I work with Mac and with Cinemaxwell or C4D with maxwell plug

I had some problem in one complex modulation... with direct sun only
But now never crashed again with others projects and no problems
Works very fine.
By desclarke
Hi, I'm using the FormZ plugin and haven't had any crashes at all with maxwell renderer. I have it installed on two machines (Dual 2.7 and Dual 2ghz running OSX 10.4.2). I have noticed recently though that Maxwell doesn't automatically start anymore after mxs file is created from FormZ. I have to navigate to the file and double click it. The biggest problem I have is all my models use tiff files as maps so I have to re-assign textures in FormZ which takes a lot of time cos there are symbols spread all over drives which refer to textures all over the place if you know what I mean. Lately I have started to use jpegs at the creation of files and these seem to work.... I hope to post something in the future when I have time. Maybe I haven't been using Maxwell for long enough to notice anything, so I'll keep my eyes on this thread.........

Des
By yazan
Here we go... I have to say I'm still frustrated with the whole material thing in maxwell and overall quality, but in a few days it will be time to make a second first impression
Dual G5 2.7 4Gb RAM
OSX 10.4.3
Lightwave 8.5
Maxwell Beta 1_2_2
Around 5 hours
18 samples
Still some noise
First is straight out of Maxwell
Second is postprocessed
I really hope MW 1.0 is going to be radically better for us OSX/LW users otherwise this has been a very expensive toy.
PS this is from the CG forum AR 2.5 vs the rest, so it ain't my model
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. ... ge=1&pp=15
Yazan
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]