Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Kabe
I would not expect too much negative impact. You have to do some quite OS X specific stuff to bump into problems here. Tiger is a pretty cool release indeed but it doesn't change much for applications like Maxwell.

There could be some impact, if NL is not an ADC member AND if they use the GCC compiler... Tiger delivers a new version of the GCC 4.0 compiler which suppposedly contain more G5 stuff (delivered by IBM).

As it comes to the Cinema plugin (Don's know about LW) - the only possible impact would be that the Metrowerks compiler would not run in it - if and only if they use it. Should that be the case, then there's no problem to keep a computer running on 10.3.

Kabe
By laurindel
Hi, this morning i install Tiger in a dual G5 and Maxwell works good :D ......sorry....it works, but my renders..... :roll:

Saludos
By kingpin
I am also interested in Maxwell on Tiger(I mean Maxwell compiled with Tiger specific options). I don't expect any optimization at this stage of development for any program, but if they can recompile with those neat options like auto-vectorization without rewriting codes, I would like to see how well it does.

Since auto-vectorization itself is very young technology, I don't expect to see drastic improvement in speed, but if it does give few percent increase in speed, I would love to have that advantage. Few percent is very small for most of app, but for Maxwell... few percent can be translated in few hours of rendering time when you are rendering for 100+hrs...

Well, then again, they have a lot to do... C4D... (no pressure from me :D I still need to work on the scene to be rendered...).

Kingpin
By Pietro Spampatti
adehus wrote:I know it's a little premature, but out of curiosity- has NL tested the Maxwell standalone renderer to see if it will work with 10.4?
On my G5 dual 1.8 2Gb RAM it's all OK:

The cinema plu-in and the Maxwell standalone renderer are working.

PETER
By Matthew Schrock
Peter,

Any chance you could give us a performance comparison of Maxwell on Panther vs Tiger? 8)

Matthew
By Pietro Spampatti
Sorry,
all the machine in office are working with tiger

PETER
By Matthew Schrock
Okay, thanks for your response... I hope to find a little time to test this myself in the coming week.

Matthew
By jep
you shouldn't see tha much improvement from Tiger - unless Maxwell was compiled for 64 bit (which it's not) and you were using G5 procs....and even then, it would be more about the additional memory allocation than anything else... No, tiger shouldn't speed up Maxwell by that much... Speeding up Maxwell is all up to Next Limit! :D
By djflod
:( :( :( BIG PROBLEMS :( :( :(

In case of a bad system crash (M~W wasn´t the matter :wink: ) I totally erased und renewed my HD and now i´m running Tiger.
But know if i want to start M~W the icon shortly pops up in the dock and suddenly disappaers and nothing happens.

Does any of u all know this problem also?

Please help :(

regards,
flo
By Jake256
I installed Tiger. I run the Lightwave plugin. Now when I hit the render button, it tries to open Quicktime, gives me a "don't know how to handle the fole type" and refuses to render. Haven't been able to get it to work yet.
By 3dgeek
djflod,

I assume your running a mac with a G4 processor? If so you need the specific G4 compile from the download page. Not only that, but you will need to repair the permissions on it - search for "permissions" in the Mac OS X forum to find out how to do this. My 1ghz G4 Powerbook runs it just fine - but it used to do what yours is doing.

Jake 256,

All you have to do is right click on the file you want to open (something.mxs) and tell it to open with Maxwell.app - if you have everything installed correctly it should work. There was a topic about this a little while ago - something about opening Final Cut or something....anyway, should do the trick.

Hope it helps.
By djflod
Thanx anyway for your answer 3dgeek - but unfortunately you´re wrong - I´m using a G5 dual 2Ghz ... :o

So any other solutions ?
By 3dgeek
I am running a Dual 2.5ghz G5 at work and am having no problems - are you sure you set your environment variables correctly. I noticed mine had the wrong path to the Maxwell.app.
By vinney57
Jake256 wrote:I installed Tiger. I run the Lightwave plugin. Now when I hit the render button, it tries to open Quicktime, gives me a "don't know how to handle the fole type" and refuses to render. Haven't been able to get it to work yet.
You need to re-assign .mxs files to Maxwell in the Mac OS info panel. Its thinking they are some sort of movie at the moment (other people have had FCP opening up)
By vinney57
Opps, didn't read the whole thread doh!
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]