Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By DELETED
DELETED
By Carl007
milksop wrote:well i have a g5 mac and also wondering when i'll be able to test its abilities.
:D :D :D
By makeArchitecture
It doesn't work correctly on Power PC Macs, why waste your time?

NL needs to get its act together or else.

If they think I am bluffing, then they do so at their peril.

FIX THE GOD DAMN SOFTWARE!!!! Or return everyone's money.

I think I am clear! ;-)

Running it in emulation will probably not even work. Or it will work at 40% capacity to create rendering that do not handle sun and glass correctly. Again, there are far better things to do with your time.
By Kabe
Well parsnip, though Beta would be correct, NL markets this as
Release Candidate. It is supposed to be ready "soon" for some time now.

Look it up, you'll learn something.

Kabe
By makeArchitecture
Parsnip Lee,

I use beta software as my main modeling and production drawing tool for a successful architectural practice and IT WORKS! I am also in weekly contact with the French developers. They communicate and are interested in making the most innovative small 3-d cad package on the market.

This software is maybe alpha. It's not even that. We have no idea of how feature complete it is because there isn't a complete manual. Many of the features do not work. I can successfully render the smallest of things. Like a chair. I need it to render buildings with multiple light sources with proper shadows. It doesn't work or it crashes out of the box.

So your snide remark is rather counterproductive....

The Mac version is really useless for anything but play.

I didn't pay $495 for a toy to waste countless hours of my time. I am a professional and I expect professionalism on NL's part as well.

If you can get something out of the Mac version of Maxwell, great, but respect that other professionals cannot use it for what NL claimed it should do.

There are many others I am in contact with who are joining me in getting NL to put up or shut up.
By makeArchitecture
It is a release candidate. And as far as a beta goes, I use one a regular basis for mission critical work that has never crashed and ALL OF ITS FEATURES WORK save for one or two. But the people I work with are very conservative so they wouldn't release somethiing they knew didn't work. And they communicate well both in French and English.

As for NL:

How many deadlines have they missed?

Will they ever finish?

I have a successful business to run.

I don't put up with people who miss deadlines and waste my time.

There is no thread to hijack because there isn't working software.

PS Do you have any idea of what it takes to port something as complex as Maxwell to work on Intel? It could take months of full-time work. Since the PowerPC version is far from finished, my guess would be six months to a year. And I don't think the current version runs on Intel hardware, not even with Rosetta.
By Kabe
makeArchitecture wrote:PS Do you have any idea of what it takes to port something as complex as Maxwell to work on Intel? It could take months of full-time work.
Nope. They use gcc, so it is actually pretty straight forward and should
not take longer than a couple of days, or maybe one to two weeks.

I can understand that they don't support additional platforms as long as
the core product isn't ready though.

Kabe
By makeArchitecture
I'll believe it when I see it.

I think we all need a healthy dose of skepticism at this point.

NL needs to produce.
By makeArchitecture
I guess as a 10 year long Mac user I am spoiled.

I was a beta tester for Archicad 8.0 and Photoshop 7.0.

I currently am for BOA 3.0.

None of these programs in beta were as bad as Maxwell.

As release candidates, they were superb!

Mac developers tend to be more conscientious I think. Mac developers tend be part of a community that takes pride in their code and their releases. It's different than the mainstream Windows community. I have had dinner with the developer of my CAD software. How many people have dinner with the chief software engineer at Autodesk? It's a small community and that's why we don't get developers like NL.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]