Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By zoetropeuk
From an email conversation with Victor and posted with his express permission.

"Yes, I meant, we have to track different configurations and create the Maxwell SDK for all of them:

* Cinema and Lightwave = need Codewarrior to build CFM binaries
* FormZ = need Codewarrior to build MACH-O binaries
* Maya and Sketchup = need gcc 3.3
* We have to build G4 and G5 optimized versions with gcc using different flags or different gcc versions.

That's why it's not so straightforward, since each plugin requires a different build of the Maxwell SDK adapted to each compiler idiosyncrasy
(#ifdef..., #define #else....)

For example, one of the problems, gcc4 compiled binaries in Tiger were crashing when calling sqrt() running on a G4 with Panther 10.3.9.

In Windows we only use one compiler and there is only a binary executable format, so we produce binaries faster. Windows makes life easier for developers.

Anyway we are building the SDK now and hopefully will get something in a few hours."

Victor
By Kabe
Michel Wuest wrote:Why don't use Maxwell the Xcode from Apple?
And it's time to ship your Universal Binary.
THE INTEL-BASED MACS ARE HERE !
The choice of compiler is not entirely to NL, because plugins normally have to be coded with the calling convention of the host app. You just can't build Cinema plugins for the Mac with anything else than CodeWarrior.

For the very same reason it's pretty pointless right now to build Universal Binaries: For most host apps the Macintels are not working, and beside this: They are not there yet... the first machines have been delivered this week, so nobody has had any chance to really use it.

I'm certainly not known for being an NL fanboy, but there's really nothing they could do about it.

Kabe

P.S.: Crashing on sqrt() on a G4 is a good thing because it means that they probably using the hardware sqrt() of the G5 :D
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]