By CRAS
I made that once using accutrans 3d:
- save object (as kopy) to *.stl
- in the save dialogue choose options (bottom right)
- set the resolution of the faces (volume model will be polygonal..)

I don´t remember all the settings. You just need to try a bit.

Cheers
By Eric Lagman
Buy Moi or try the demo. http://moi3d.com/

Save as IGES or Step from SW and export out .obj with ngons. Works pretty good most of the time.
By yolk
yeah..the ngon tesselation of moi3d is awesome..just bought it

darn picasa webhosting..is there a way to upload images that stay publicly viewable?

By Eric Lagman
yolk wrote:yeah..the ngon tesselation of moi3d is awesome..just bought it

darn picasa webhosting..is there a way to upload images that stay publicly viewable?

I agree. Thats the main reason I bought it. I have never modelled anything with it. I use it as a bridge between cad to other non cad apps. I wish the axis of SW models came in the same though. I always have to rotate them :?
By JDHill
Eric, there are a couple of ways to deal with this. First, if you are just going from SW to Studio via Moi, then open Moi's Options dialog, go to Import/Export > OBJ Options and set:
  • Scale Factor: 0.001
  • Orientation: Z-Up
That should make the SW > IGES > Moi > OBJ > Studio export path work without manual rotation or scaling. If that's too hack-ish, and you need to work with apps other than Studio, then the way to go would be, in SW:
  1. make sure you have some axis-aligned geometry; a simple cube is easiest
  2. main menu > Insert > Reference Geometry > Coordinate System...
  3. click in the X axis box, then select the cube face whose normal points in SW's x-axis direction
  4. click in the Y axis box, then select the cube face whose normal points away from SW's z-axis direction
  5. click in the Z axis box, then select the cube face whose normal points in SW's y-axis direction
You can also select vertexes and such, but it's easier to use faces. With this coordinate system now created, when you export IGES or similar and click the [Options...] button in the file dialog and look near the bottom of the File Format dialog that comes up; you should be able to select the coordinate system you created from the pull-down box. The coordinate system described above is x/y/z compatible with Maxwell.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]