By b-kandor
Hi,

In my current project, I can't apply a material to a part in an assembly without generating an error. If I open the part an select either a body or the part itself (in the feature tree) it will show up in the plugin's 'selected objects' section. However, if I select a face it will not showup in that section.

Also, if I change the texture scale of a material and click refresh viewport materials, nothing happens, so I simply drag the material back onto the part and then I immeidiately see the change.

Thanks,

Kandor
By JDHill
Hi Kandor,

I got your error report and emailed you back. Of course, it is supposed to work, so there is something here that's happening differently than normal. Some things which would be good to know:

a. is it just this assembly? Just assemblies using a particular part?
b. if you open that (or one of these) .sldprt by itself, is there any problem there?
c. how are you opening the assembly? Large-assembly mode, lightweight components, etc?
d. did things seem to work ok before, and then stopped working at some point? If so, any other changes you might've made, i.e. upgrading SolidWorks, hardware, etc?
e. if you've upgraded SolidWorks, did you try running 'Repair' on the plugin through Windows Add/Remove Programs?
f. have you rebooted your computer recently?

Sorry for the questions, but since it works normally here, I need to figure out what is happening to cause the strange behavior there.

Thanks,

JD
By b-kandor
Hi Jeremy,

By reloading solidworks with the addin enabled prior to opening any documents I can now apply material to faces of a part in an assembly. So that's good!

But, the refresh viewport materials and enable/disable viewport materials still seems to have no effect on my viewport.

In this case I have realview turned off. I see the texture of the material on my part but it will not update once it has been applied.

Thanks,

Kandor
By JDHill
Hi Kandor,

I'll look into what is happening when you load the plugin mid-session - it's possible that it is having some difficulty getting the data from all parts referenced in the current document. I've managed to create an assembly referenced in another assembly, referenced in yet another assembly, and I'm finding some behavior similar to what you describe - I can get at some instances of the original part, but I can't get at some others - so I'll try to chase down whatever it is I'm seeing there.

Cheers,

JD
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]