When exporting from solidworks with no special materials attached.. just default...the studio attaches the default material to each and every part.

I then have to go and remove all form list and apply new materials .

Also there are alos some multi materials which are not shown until i expand the part in the window.

So it takes a very long time to add materials... before it was simple everything came in as one default material not multiples.

Is this something we can get back ?

I understand there is a desire to make the plug in a powerful tool and it may be I dont understand/ spent time to see the benefits of the new plugin...

can you let me know what I am missing (apart from a few screws :)

Also adding material in studio is slightly different ( not your dept.) but before you could just apply the material to the main item and all the sub items within it were given the same material .. it is messy nw and confusing....

I figured out a part of the problem if the user ass solidworks gray color to materials then a different out put for each is given...

this actually probably goe sto show the amount of work you have put in to get this plug in to be very powewrful i am sure i will see more of this as i explore and learn...

so i made all the same color and it simplifies things..
By JDHill
When exporting from solidworks with no special materials attached.. just default...the studio attaches the default material to each and every part.

I then have to go and remove all form list and apply new materials .
We can't have meshes or triangles without material - nothing has changed with how this works, as far as I know.
Also there are alos some multi materials which are not shown until i expand the part in the window.
I'm not sure which window you are referring to. If multi-materials are being automatically generated and you don't want them, turn off the plugin option 'Export SW Multi-Materials' (it should be off by default). If you mean not auto-generated, but explicit per-face/feature plugin materials, then you just need to not apply them at those levels - select the body and apply the material there.
So it takes a very long time to add materials... before it was simple everything came in as one default material not multiples.

Is this something we can get back ?
As you said at the end, if you make everything the same color, then only one material will be generated. If there are several colors, there will be several materials - I don't know how else it could work.
Also adding material in studio is slightly different ( not your dept.) but before you could just apply the material to the main item and all the sub items within it were given the same material .. it is messy nw and confusing....
Different than which version of Studio? I think you just need to hold down CTRL when you assign to a group - that should help.
I figured out a part of the problem if the user ass solidworks gray color to materials then a different out put for each is given...
As above - this is not true, if they are really all the same. That means not just the same color, but shininess, texture, etc.

Let me know if this helps, or if not, where I've misunderstood.
By martgreg
Thanks JD...

as usual your a great help... :)

thanks
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]