I have just rendered a project with 3.2m polys. - heavier on polys than it needed to be.

It would be great to have more control of the fidelity of the mesh exported to the MXS from SWX - like adaptive subdivision in Alias's renderer (now very old !). In my scene I had flat rectangular objects with thousands of polys for no reason. It is my understanding that the only way to change the number of polys is to change the options > performance > image quality slider in SWX itself prior to saving out the MXS? - correct??

I have also found strange problems with the way certain object renders - strange polygon artefacts. (I can post some images soon)

I also find that objects UV sets revert to being locked (not sure as to exact behaviour of this - will do some tests).

Anyone else had these issues??

David
By JDHill
Hi David,

You are correct that the 'Image Quality' settings are the only way to control mesh density in SolidWorks. The plugin is an exporter - if you need more control over how the source geometry is meshed, that is something to request from the SolidWorks people - it's outside the scope of the plugin. It would not make sense for each new plugin to re-implement something like that, when the control properly belongs in the modeling application. Rhino also had global mesh settings before its most recent version, when per-object mesh settings were implemented - this should also be done in SolidWorks.

The reason why UV Sets come into Studio as 'locked' is because there is no such thing as a projector in an MXS file. Studio creates them, and saves them in its proprietary data inside the file. For plugins, all UV information is exported directly attached to each and every triangle in the mesh. Furthermore, if there were projectors in an MXS, there still are no 'projectors' in SolidWorks for the plugin to export.

I would like to see your images of the strange-rendering object, when you can find the time to post them.

JD
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]