I am waiting for my new comp and was wondering will i have any issues creating models in solidworks , and then exporting the mxs.

Then taking this mxs via network or usb drive and opening it on my mac to render in studio ?

I just wanna make sure that this will be seamless or do i need to consider other options ...
By dilbert
If you're doing the Mac thing, it might be better to just install Solidworks on the Mac and use Bootcamp. I use Solidworks also, and I think it would be a big pain to be constantly transferring mxs files. If you ever had to make changes to your Solidworks model, you'd have to go through the whole export process again. I use Rhino (with the Maxwell plugin) to render my Solidworks stuff as Rhino will open native Solidworks files, and the data exchange is better (IGES, STEP, etc.). MXS will only open obj objects which can be a problem.
By superbad
I do the same thing, works fine. I used to do it on separate PCs, transferring the MXS via a network drive, but now I run everything on the same machine using Parallels. No problems either way, although Studio in Leopard has some serious crashing issues for me. Like dilbert said, if you change your SW model you've got some hassles when you reimport it into the scene (sometimes this works correctly in Studio, but it often doesn't). Until Solidworks gives us control over texturing, that's always going to be the case.
By martgreg
Yeah I will be doing the boot camp or similar... but I have also been told to install install xp 64 on a separate Hardrive to make things simpler..

But at the moment i don't have time to set up so i was just wanting a quick fix untill i get a hard drive and a couple of sticks of ram...

I have another question.. if you have bootcamp or similar why do you just use studio in the windows environment ?

is there a problem there ?

thanks
By w i l l
I think Studio works better on Windows than on Mac - it did for me anyway.

I just installed XP 64 on the mac without Parallels or Boot Camp.
By jo
w i l l wrote:I just installed XP 64 on the mac without Parallels or Boot Camp.
How?
With Fusion?

Ciao, Gio
By w i l l
Can't remember, but now i dont have to press alt or whatever the key was to boot to either operating system. I just turn it on and get Windows XP.
By martgreg
w i l l wrote:Can't remember, but now i dont have to press alt or whatever the key was to boot to either operating system. I just turn it on and get Windows XP.
does this mean you don't have the MAC operating system anymore ?

just xp 64 ?
By jvanmetre
Martgreg-

My workflow is from a pc running windows xp, rhino and mw 1.6.1 and rendering out on a mac.

From Rhino I "write mxs, open in studio" -- adjust settings (if needed) and use the "pack and go" option from studio which writes it to a shared (mac/pc) drive. It's actually quite fast, freeing up the pc to continue modeling. I do not recommend using Studio in osx (leopard) -- it's just not reliable (can't seem to launch renders from the app.) although others may feel differently.

Good luck.

jvm
By martgreg
Thanks that sounds like an option to consider....

I would prefer to get XP running on the mac as right now i find i spend alot of time previewing my renders b4 i send them to cook.. so i wanted to have all 8 cores at my diposal for seting up the render.. then send it away to my pc depending on how much time i have...

i will try the xp 64 route for now...

it has been such a long time since i used a mac properly... i am lost lol

besides without the 30 mac cinema screen it still doesn't feel very mac

i dont see myself spending 1700 bucks on a monitor .. not yet anyway :)
By superbad
jo wrote:
How?
With Fusion?

Ciao, Gio
Boot Camp just helps you partition the drive. If you install a separate drive, you can load Windows onto it, then put the original Mac drive back in and it gives you a dual boot screen on startup. Works great.

martgreg-
I am using Studio in Mac- the current build crashes constantly. 1.5 is better, and only crashes frequently, instead of constantly.
By martgreg
superbad wrote:
jo wrote:
How?
With Fusion?

Ciao, Gio
Boot Camp just helps you partition the drive. If you install a separate drive, you can load Windows onto it, then put the original Mac drive back in and it gives you a dual boot screen on startup. Works great.

martgreg-
I am using Studio in Mac- the current build crashes constantly. 1.5 is better, and only crashes frequently, instead of constantly.

yeah i kind of did that but i didnt remove original drive...

it works fine so far... tonight i am going to install XP 64 wish me luck....

also have you guys used any faster drives than the one supplied .. i want to install a 10000 rpm and see if any one has had any issues ?

thanks
By superbad
I had XP64 on here originally, installed perfectly.

You shouldn't have any problems using a 10k RPM drive.
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]