By Eric Lagman
1. Parts that are hidden sometimes still show up in the rendering. I have to suppress them to make them go away. Other times it works ok.

2. Sometimes parts in solidworks that I dont put a maxwell material on end up having emitters applied to them when the rendering starts.

My co-workers who are using the plugin are having these same issues.
By JDHill
1) I don't see any reason for that to happen, there are conditionals in the exporter that should be skipping either hidden or suppressed items. What kind of objects are you seeing this happen with - bodies in .sldprt, components in .sldasm? An example file would be excellent.

2) look at your SW materials...make sure you don't have any emmissivity in them, or else they will be interpreted as emitters. I think I have a tolerance of 0.2 emmissivity before I consider the mat to be an emitter - should I make this a user-setting?
By Eric Lagman
JDHill wrote:1) I don't see any reason for that to happen, there are conditionals in the exporter that should be skipping either hidden or suppressed items. What kind of objects are you seeing this happen with - bodies in .sldprt, components in .sldasm? An example file would be excellent.

2) look at your SW materials...make sure you don't have any emissivity in them, or else they will be interpreted as emitters. I think I have a tolerance of 0.2 emmissivity before I consider the mat to be an emitter - should I make this a user-setting?
I will see if I can put together a file that this happens in. Everything I am working on now is confidential. Trust me though its happening. Do you have any large assemblies available to you? This seems to be where it happens. Simple scenes seem to be ok. I will see what I can dig up when I have time.

The emissivity would be nice if it was a user controlled option. This is strange though because I never mess with that slider on any of my materials. I will double check next time it happens to see if my sw color properties have emissivity on them.
By JDHill
I'ts not that I don't trust your word. :) I just know that logically, there isn't any way it should be happening. I test with some pretty crazy things, but this particular issue, I haven't run across. About emmissivity...take my word, if you get an emitter, it means that number is > 0.2. I'll put a threshold in user-settings, as I've gotten this question once before, and it seems pretty common to have materials like this when they're not actually emitters. Actually, the 0.2 threshold is only there because the plugin uses some of this to make viewport materials look better too.
By martgreg
In regards to hiding/suppressing

from previous experience when I have exported assemblies I suppress what I don't want to see in the exported file.

I didn't think hiding would remove it from the export from solidworks to studio? officially which one is supposed to work both ?

But I had a massive assemble with internal assemblies and what showed in the expot was not what was showing on the screen.

I dont know if i can send you the file .. but what happened was I had a single 20 inch screen display of a monitor that I wanted to render, and hidden/or suppressed i had a dual display that we where not going to use..

but in studio they flipped over ?

any way hope this info or lack of it can help :)
By JDHill
Hi martgreg,

When the geometry is exported, the plugin asks SW whether each piece is either hidden or suppressed, and if so, it skips exporting it entirely. Well, that's what's supposed to happen, but as Eric is saying, it is apparently not always working.

Seeing parts flipped, or in a different orientation is something else though. The reason is rather technical, but it has required me to add another mode of exporting, which will be in the next update. For some possible help, see this post: http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... highlight=

May I assume that you only see this problem when you open a model in Studio? Because, I believe your models will always render correctly in MXCL - there is sometimes an issue when MXST attempts to reverse-engineer the object transformation. To get around this, the new mode will export all triangles according to world-coordinates - the object-hierarchy will still be exported correctly, but all transformations will be set at 0,0,0.

Let me know if this sounds like what you're seeing, and if that link helps.

JD
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]