By jjs
Just planning on getting a new multi core machine.

Win XP64 or Vista 64 for the operating system? That is the question.

I presume Maxwell is fine with either - I am right arn't I?

I am not upto speed on what SW is planning on maintianing in the future and even if sw2008 will run on Vista or Vista 64.

Any Solidworkers have any idea or opinion?

Jonathan
By Maximus3D
I have no clue and i'm unfortunately not even a SolidWorks user :( but i recently read on their website that the new 2008 version is supposed to be adapted to work fine on Vista. But i would still recommend XP64 since Vista uses more of your systemresources (cpu and ram) to run, you get more outta standard XP64 as it's less resourcehungry.

/ Max
By jjs
Maximus3D wrote:I have no clue and i'm unfortunately not even a SolidWorks user :( but i recently read on their website that the new 2008 version is supposed to be adapted to work fine on Vista. But i would still recommend XP64 since Vista uses more of your systemresources (cpu and ram) to run, you get more outta standard XP64 as it's less resourcehungry.

/ Max

Max - could have guessed you were not a Solidworker :D - as if you were you would have soon learnt never to believe a word you read on their website :D

But I take your point about the reasources of Vista - I've read a few articles saying its slower than XP running things like Photoshop etc as well as needing more RAM just to exist.

PS - been looking at your displacement stuff - looks like 3d modeling is no longer required. :)

Jonathan
By Maximus3D
You're a skilled guesser jjs :D but they had such nice videos on the site showing how great SolidWorks is in Vista, i couldn't help but believe in them.

True that it is indeed slower and just loves to eat all your ram and cpu while it's doing nothing but just sitting there. And drivers are still very immature for Vista, not even Nvidia's drivers are 100% stable and good yet for Vista 32bit, and Vista 64bit is another nightmare.. ugh. XP64 should do the job nicely, you can tweak and finetune that to optimize it's performance even more.

I saw the link you posted, and you're correct. There's no support for Vista 64 :shock:

Displacement yeah, oh that's a wet dream coming true with this 1.6 release :D i can't stop using it! that Ajax statue kinda freaked me out, it might make us modelers jobless soon. That would suck..

/ Max
By jjs
Well my Dell arrived on Tuesday. Wednesday spent settiing it up and yersterday work on a deadline

- but this morning up early - and but here it is at full chat - the rivets were shacking loose as I fired it up for all cores cores on maxwell. The memory usage on a large bus station I briefly rendered never went above 3.5gb.

No hicups to report todate - except the SWinstall manager did not install the 64x version directly - had to manually insatll in off the DVD. Typical SW.

No problems with the Maxwell install at all.

Lets see how it all pans out.

TTFN

Jonathan
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]