Just tried to render a large (ish) assembly - render failed to start no error was received. Looking at the log file (which I emailed via the log window)
* line 193: Scene::EndWriteMxs(String^ Path), _error, The Scene was not successfully written, due to an internal Maxwell error.
By John Layne
Tried exporting the .mxs file - the log files state the file was written successfully however I'm unable to find the .mxs file (log file emailed via the log file interface.

With the old plugin I could easily export the same scene that has just failed and do all the work in Studio.

Is it easy to uninstall this version of the plugin and return to the old one. Is the old plugin compatible with version 1.6 of Maxwell or do I need to reinstall the the old version of Maxwell?
By JDHill
Hi John,

That error means that something didn't line up in the MXS when the plugin code asked the Maxwell SDK to commit it to disk. But it also means that there were no errors detected by the plugin while doing the mesh-transfer. It would be great if you could find out which part of the document causes it so I can analyze it and put in checks for whatever it is.

Also, just a guess, is it possible you don't have permission to write files to the output path?

Thanks,

JD
By JDHill
Sorry, I missed your second post - you don't have to uninstall anything. The two plugins have nothing to do with one another.

The log is incorrect in saying the mxs was written - it was not. The function was not expecting the SDK error, so it thinks it was successful, but the SDK is telling otherwise.
By John Layne
Hi JD

I have permission to write - I'm the administrator and the files are in a sub directory of "My documents folder"

It's going to be hard to isolate as there are several hundred parts :)

After trying to export the .mxs file SolidWorks has locked up. I click on the screen and it just beeps at me. I'll have to kill the process to escape SolidWorks. I've had this sort of problem before with dialouge boxes opening off screen, when my laptop is not plugged into a second monitor. This despite having set "prevent windows opening off screen" under the Nvidia Desktop Manager.
By JDHill
Hmm..I don't know what NVIDIA is doing, but Windows thinks your screen is 1920x1200, and I won't open any dialog outside of that area. Is it really smaller than this?
By John Layne
My bad---

The reason for the lock up is I tried to "Pack and Go" just to see if having all the files in the same folder would fix the problem with the plugin.

Pack and go is opening off screen causing the lock up because I can't access the window. ( I'll have to plug in another monitor to get it to come back, this has happened before with SolidWorks, friend with the same M90 has the same problem)

Note files are in two different folders plus a lot of toolbox parts
By JDHill
I wish I could reproduce the error...
By John Layne
I've managed to find the cause (or at least I think so). The bug seems to be related to an assembly cut.

I was (and did in the previous version) using an assembly cut to provide a cut away section of an assembly.

I can work around this by cutting the component parts in part configurations, but it would be nice if I could just use an assembly cut.
:D

Edit

Forgot to mention the assembly cut was in a sub assembly -- this caused no error and did not render.

When the the assembly cut was in the main assembly the log still showed the error " The Scene was not successfully written, due to an internal Maxwell error", however the render started but ignored the assembly cut.
By JDHill
This sounds good, I'll try to duplicate and debug it. If I can't do that, would it be possible to send me a simplified failing example? It sounds a little strange, since the plugin gets components using the 'active' configuration - maybe there's an edge case with a sub-assembly which causes it to ignore the cut. The SDK error is almost certainly due to SW reporting a different number of triangles for the mesh than it actually ends up providing when I get the tesselation for the geometry.
By John Layne
Hi JD

I'll try and recreate the problem with a simple example-- haven't tried this yet.

Will have to be tomorrow thought, getting late here in NZ.
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]