By jjs
I've now loaded sw2008 sp0 on an xp32bit system.

It all seems OK and running fine - no hic ups in the install.

Now - what is the inside information on running the latest Maxwell plugin.

Anything I need to know or do before going to the @add-in' menu in sw2008 and ticking the Maxwell box?

Will someone hold my hand :)

TTFN

Jonathan
By purCAB
While we haven't yet installed SW2008, I would also like to know if the current plugin will work, and if not, then when can support for 2008 be expected. The main issue is that with most CAD programs (and certainly SolidWorks is one of them) there is no backwards compatibility. So once we move to SW2008, there is really no turning back.

Ken
By Mike Scola
In the past, we would load the new version as a new installation, keeping the old version operational as well. This way, if it doesn't work in the new version you can default to the older installation.

I don't know if this is possible now with the new licencing scheme. Has anyone tried to do this?
By purCAB
We haven't yet installed SW2008, so I can't say for sure. If it works like UGS-NX, one should be able to run any version as long as you have available licenses. With NX we can run NX-4 or NX-5 as long as we don't exceed the total number of licenses. The real problem though, is that once you read a part/assembly file with the next version (e.g. SW2008) and save it, then there is no way to roll that file back to the previous version. It's a bit like Hotel California...You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave.

Ken
By jjs
Mike Scola wrote:In the past, we would load the new version as a new installation, keeping the old version operational as well. This way, if it doesn't work in the new version you can default to the older installation.

I don't know if this is possible now with the new licencing scheme. Has anyone tried to do this?
Yep - its the way I have installed sw2008 sp0

Its a new install along side the sw2007sp3.1 and there were no issues with the license - mine is a stand alone licence so can't speak for the other types.

Jonathan
By rockguy
The latest Maxwell newsletter shows some screen shots for the new SW 2008 plug-in. It doesn't say when it will be available. I have used the 2007 plugin a few times with 2008 and it seems to work fine.
By beatriz
Hi!
we cannot make sure the current plugin will work under SW2008 as it was not compiled for that version.

The new plugin is developing really well, I'm sure you'll like it a lot. But it's not finished yet.
Cheers,
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]