By Eric Lagman
I was given this model by someone at solidworks after I saw this on another forum, and claimed that maxwell is capable of better. http://www.solidworks.com/pages/product ... tml?pid=37

I wanted to give it a try with multilight to see what I could get. Not sure mine was much better than the last one that got the highest ranking. After you look at something too long your eyes loose judgement. Comments welcome.

By superbad
That second one is pretty good. The aluminum and black materials on the handles and lens could use some work- they just aren't quite right. The whole thing is too clean and smooth, and some parts (e.g, the knobs) are too shiny. Having something to reflect off the front of the lens might help too. I agree this isn't tremendously better than what the latest Photoworks is capable of, but I'm betting you didn't have to dick around with it nearly as much either. Yours is a lot better than anything posted in that gallery- they found some real dogs there.
By Eric Lagman
superbad wrote:That second one is pretty good. The aluminum and black materials on the handles and lens could use some work- they just aren't quite right. The whole thing is too clean and smooth, and some parts (e.g, the knobs) are too shiny. Having something to reflect off the front of the lens might help too.
I agree with all of that. The hard edges on the metal around the lens area are not helping the realisim either. Hard edges just kill the realisim factor. I tried and tried to get something to reflect off of that front lens, but I couldnt. I was using ags since a standard dielectic just would not clear. I moved a square emitter all over the place, but could not position it where it would reflect. I must have been doing something wrong. It was a flat surface and not domed so maybe this was not making things easy to get a reflection. The model was sent as obj so I could not dome it. I wish there was some way in the studio opengl to get a rough approximation of where your emitters are going to reflect on an object. This is probably beyond opengl capabilities though I suppose.
By superbad
Eric Lagman wrote:I wish there was some way in the studio opengl to get a rough approximation of where your emitters are going to reflect on an object.
No kidding, that would help a lot. I've also had the opposite problem, where I was trying to position emitters so they wouldn't show up in a mirror. Tremendous hassle. I'm going to add it to the wishlist forum right now.
By Eric Lagman
John Layne wrote:Don't suppose you could share the model?
I was asked not to. Sorry John I would if I could.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]